Calibrating Filmscan35

All the problems with Microtek film scanners

vberger
Visitor

Calibrating Filmscan35

Postby vberger » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:14 am

Hi,

I use Silverfast SE 6.4.0r9 and I am looking for a way to get better scans, so my question is wheter there is a way to calibrate Filmscan35 Scanner to my monitor.

When im scanning diapositives, they get always darker than I adjust in prescan mode. I often use GANE-Filter. Does this affect the scan?

TIA

Volker

LSI_Sperling
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Sperling » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:55 pm

Dear Volker,

the Gane-Filter has no effect of the brightness, but I will check, if there is a difference between the pre-scan and final-scan. In the case there is a difference, we will fix it as soon as possible.

The colour space of SilverFast SE version is Adobe RGB. To get the best equal image impression you have to select in your host application also Adobe RGB .

regards

Christoph

vberger
Visitor

Postby vberger » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:29 pm

Sorry, there is a long time gone between my last post.

I tried to switch my system to Adobe RGB like I was told. I use the latest version of SF SE (6.4.1r4b Twain)

But previews in SF still have nothing in common with the images that are created. They are always much to dark.

What can I do in the options dialog with gamma setting. If I change values here, the preview ist getting brighter (2.00) or darker (i.e. 1.70).
The image is alway much darker than preview.

With the mentioned version I often get an error message: "Problem with import interface" and then I have to start the application again.

I have no idea. Maybe its the best idea to go to ebay and buy and sell.

TIA

Volker

RAG
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby RAG » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:14 pm

Hello vberger,

What type of computer are you using (MAC or Windows)? I ask because you mentioned that you use a TWAIN driver. If you are using Windows I recommend trying the WIA driver because it may give better results.

Good luck!
Member in good standing - NAPP
A picture is worth a thousand words! :-)

vberger
Visitor

Postby vberger » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:44 pm

Hi,

yes I use XPSP1. I have never heard of WIA. Can you tell me what it is and where to get?

Thanks

Volker

vberger
Visitor

Postby vberger » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:45 pm

Hi,

yes I use XPSP1. I have never heard of WIA. Can you tell me what it is and where to get?

Thanks

Volker

RAG
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby RAG » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:53 pm

Hi,

WIA is a feature on Windows XP. I believe it is the three letter acronym for Windows Image Acquisition. You should see the WIA option when you go to import (Scan) an image in an application such as Adobe Photo Shop.

I have to stand corrected on one point though and that is WIA uses Windows and the Scanner's driver and does not take you into SilverFast.

If you are using Photo Shop then select the first of the two options listed below when downloading SilverFast and it will provide better performance. Option 1 does provide a stand-alone version of SilverFast to be used without Photo Shop

When you downloaded the latest version of SilverFast you should have seen two options:

1) SilverFast Application (with PhotoShop Plug-in Option)
2) Twain
Member in good standing - NAPP

A picture is worth a thousand words! :-)

Return to “Microtek”