Batch scanning with 3600

All the problems with Microtek film scanners

freddyfries
Visitor

Batch scanning with 3600

Postby freddyfries » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:10 pm

Is it possible to batch scan using the Microtek 3600 and SilverFast??

I have read some documentation regarding batch scanning with SilverFast software, however, when I attempt to follow the procedures with my Microtek 3600 scanner it does not seem to work! Is there anyone out there that can please help me, as SilverFast produces immeasurably better scans than the generic Microtek software, and I have a mountain of filmstips to get through!

Also Microtek 3600 users is there some special technique for feeding in the film as I find it darn tricky!

LSI_Rossee
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Rossee » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:54 am

Dear Freddyfries.

Which steps did you make untill you have experienced complications?

freddyfries
Visitor

Postby freddyfries » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:57 pm

Thanks for getting back to me. I followed Ian Lyons tutorial for Batch scanning that can be found on your site. I do a prescan, then set up the options as he recommends, however when I go to scan it appears that the film has been ejected (error no film in scanner) I also don`t have a scan batch option. Hopefully I am just being rather daft and missing something very simple... is this the case????

freddyfries
Visitor

Moving (slowly) on

Postby freddyfries » Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:10 pm

I have manged to get a few batch scans done. This seems to work by doing a pre-scan in Normal(file) scan mode and then scanning with the Batch(file) mode, however, it keeps setting the offset incorrectly so it is scanning half the negative only. Can anyone help please!

LSI_Rossee
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Rossee » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:21 pm

Dear Freddyfries,

Please make sure you also have the Original set to "Document feeder".
Setting the offset is easy once you understood the concept behind it. The trick is to push the shift-button while you are setting the offset for the start position and vice versa.

I will perform an internal test with my 3600 tomorrow first thing in the morning.

Kind regards.
Last edited by LSI_Rossee on Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

freddyfries
Visitor

Hit or miss

Postby freddyfries » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:46 pm

I am wondering how you have got on with your test as I am still experiencing a few problems. I can get it to scan a batch however what seems to happen is that the first picture and sometimes the second are ok, however after that it seems to get the offset wrong advancing the film only halfway, so scanning part of the previous image. This extremelyfrustrating. I have managed to batch scan a complete film of B&W without any problems, however, when I have tried to scan a transparency the above problem occured.

Also with the transparency images there seems to be a lot of noise (Fuji Senisa 100 I scanning at 1800dpi I would have thought this problem should not occur) I have tried with the filters to reduce the noise however they seem remove to much detail. Any help or advice would be most greatfully recieved

Thanks

Mark

LSI_Rossee
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Rossee » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:48 pm

Dear Freddyfries,

which firmware does your scanner have? You can find that Information in the SF_logfile within the Silverfast directory.
Last edited by LSI_Rossee on Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freddyfries
Visitor

Postby freddyfries » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:19 pm

Having looked in the silverfast directory it says firmware: 1.40

(the scanner seems to be working with negatives though not with positives it does not seem to get the spacing between each image right, is that possible?)

LSI_Rossee
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Rossee » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:26 pm

Dear Freddyfries.

I have an older firmware but will update right away and test again.

Kind regards.
Last edited by LSI_Rossee on Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSI_Rossee
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Rossee » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:49 am

Dear Freddyfries

We have now installed the firmware 1.45 and can verify the problem with the filmstrip being ejected after the prescan is finished in batch mode.
In normal file mode the test was positive and had no problems with the offset.
A developer is informed and will provide a solution with the next release by the end of next week.

Kind regards.

freddyfries
Visitor

Swift action!

Postby freddyfries » Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:43 am

Wow thanks that is great, I will be very much looking forward to that coming out.

During your tests have you managed to do a transparency batch scans?

With negative film I have been reasonably succesful in scanning complete film strips. I found by prescanning in Normal(file) mode and then doing the scan in batch(file) mode (which incidentlly automatically swaps to the document feeder) I can do a batch scan, however, interestingly (or more frustratingly) it seems to work perfectly with negative (both B&W and colour) however transparecy film seems to confuse it some what, I was wandering if you have experienced the same problems or know of any reason why this could occur?

kind regards

LSI_Rossee
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Rossee » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:00 pm

Dear Freddyfries.

These issues will be handled and improved with the next release. To make a long story short we have updated some Microtek drivers in our latest release and they cause the awkward behaviour.

Kind regards.

freddyfries
Visitor

Postby freddyfries » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:12 pm

Thanks for all the information and I will look forward to the new release coming out.

Much thanks

LSI_Rossee
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Rossee » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:42 pm

Dear Freddyfries.

The Developer has now fixed this issue. It will be available with the next release by the end of this week.

Please contact me at support@silverfast.com if you need a solution before that.

Kind regards.

Return to “Microtek”