Mode: normal
Transparency
Positive
42-> 24 Bit Colour
No filter.
Type standard
See results at:
http://www.francoisefineartgallery.com/ ... harpn.html

The results with Microtek Scan Wizard are similar.

This is my second scanner, Microtek replaced the first one because I could not get sharp scans. I have reinstalled the software over and over!

I bought ArtixScan 400tf because, for this project, I need sharp images scanned at 4000 and 8000 dpi.

Any hope to fix the problem without fighting Microtek again because of a defective scanner?

THANKS!

Francoise

sbosman
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby sbosman » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:21 am

Fran?oise,

Your scan is sharp! The grain is perfectly resolved. As a matter of fact, the IT8 slide is no sharpness benchmark.

Also, understand that when you look at a 4000dpi scan at 100%, it is like looking at your slide or negative with a microscope. A negative that will give a perfectly sharp regular enlargment will not show perfectly sharp details at that level of magnification. As long as you can see the film grain well defined, your scan is fine.

Take into account that any digital sampling will introduce some softening. Every scan needs a light sharpening in order to restore the original sharpness. Typically, I apply USM in PhotoShop with a rdius of 0.8 and a strengh varying between 80 and 150%, depending on the film and on what I see on the screen. The goal here is to see the grain as you would through a focusing magnifyer under an enlarger.

Francoise
Visitor

Postby Francoise » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:50 pm

Thank you... sadly...

I was also told this by LaserSoft. I guess that will teach me to rely on past excellent experience with Microtek...

Thank you for the tips on USM. I will try scanning at a lower resolution, using GenuineFractals Printpro to get to the size I need, then applying USM filter.

Francoise

sbosman
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

No no no !

Postby sbosman » Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:13 pm

Fran?oise, you're getting it all wrong. Your scanner IS sharp! Scanning with a lower resolution and upsamplng will only give you worse results.

Your scanner can not make a fuzzy shot sharp, that's all!

Francoise
Visitor

Postby Francoise » Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:08 pm

But this is not a fuzzy shot!

This is a very sharp image and so are the others I tried.

To make sure my eyes sere not deceiving me, I had them verify as sharp by a top notch photographer.

From what you see at http://www.francoisefineartgallery.com/ ... harpn.html, do you think that the sample comes from a fuzzy shot rather than too much of an enlargement? That would help me a lot!

Thanks,

Francoise

Francoise
Visitor

Postby Francoise » Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:00 pm

OOPS... I answered too fast!

Do you mean that if the scanned image is fuzzy there is nothing I can do about it? ... Which is true!

I am extremely disappointed with the scanner. I scanned a very sharp slide at 2400dpi and still am not getting a sharp scan at all.

Francoise

sbosman
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

the scan is sharp

Postby sbosman » Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:52 am

Fran?oise,

On the sample you give, can't you SEE that the film grain is nicely resolved ??? What else do you want to resolve ???

NO scanner will get you much further.

By the way, have you ever user a traditionnal enlarger ? If not, I engage you to try. That will give you a good reference point to learn to know what film is, how it behvaves and what you can reasonnably expect from optics.

Return to “Microtek”