Scanmaker 5 Error on scan start

flatbed scanners for Microtek

arteye
Visitor

Scanmaker 5 Error on scan start

Postby arteye » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:16 am

My Scanmaker 5 is attached through a firewire to SCSI bridge
When I try to prescan or scan, the scanner seems to do a reset, and SilverFast reports an error on scan start-Cannot start scanner. After a few seconds, the scanner does start, but SilverFast has already given up on it. When I try to scan in the photoshop plugin set to open the file in Photoshop (rather than save it), the Silverfast window closes. If I try to open the plugin again, Siverfast reports it can't find the scanner. If I have it set to save as a file, I can restart the plugin, quickly select scan again, and sometimes capture the scan. The problem seems to be that Silverfast is interpreting the scanner reset right at the beginning as a scanner failure. Any way around this?

LSI_Bruhn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Bruhn » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:18 pm

Dear customer,

the problem is here : FireWire is fast, your scanner is slow.

Once the Adpaters sends signals to the scan so fast it will once give back a error message. So the timing has to be reduced by the software, and as there is no general setting to reduce timing for all scanners, so it is a individual problem.
Sascha Bruhn

LaserSoft Imaging AG
Luisenweg 6-8
24105 Kiel

arteye
Visitor

Postby arteye » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:20 am

Well, although the Scanmaker 5 is slow, like it's brother the Agfa duoscan, I really don't believe its speed or lack of it has anything to do with this problem.

It seems fairly clear that when either Prescan or Scan is initiated from SilverFast, SilverFast sends a code to the scanner. The scanner responds instantly with some kind of code (Ack Ack). Your software is interpreting this response, falsely, as an error condition and fails to continue. The scanner itself goes on it's merry way (slowly) going about it's scanning mission. Silferfast meanwhile just quits.

SilverFast needs to change probably 2 or 3 lines of code here to stop misinterpreting the initial scanner response. After that, it will work fine.

LSI_Bruhn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Bruhn » Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:55 pm

Dear customers,

and at least it does well for many month now.
Sascha Bruhn

LaserSoft Imaging AG
Luisenweg 6-8
24105 Kiel

Return to “Microtek”