Prescans OK, but scan is off target?

flatbed scanners for Microtek

Mike_Thomson
Visitor

Postby Mike_Thomson » Tue Dec 18, 2001 11:58 pm

Hi folks

I'm having a weird problem here. I'm scanning slide positives, using my Microtek X12 USL via SCSI and SilverFast 5.5.0r18 on a Macintosh G4.

Everything works perfectly as far as I can see, prescans are fine, I can zoom in to perfect the selection guides, but when I do the final scan, something very odd happens.

SilverFast scans the same amount of the bed area, at the right height, but about 1 inch to the left of where the slide is.

As I said, prescan is fine, I can select the area I'm interested in and the zoomed prescan is also fine, but the final scan gets me a different area of the bed altogether!

Your help will be much appreciated!

Mike (currently 'aiming off' and getting crappy results!)

Mike_Thomson
Visitor

Postby Mike_Thomson » Wed Dec 19, 2001 12:00 am

Oops - forgot to mention:

I'm using Photoshop 6.0.1, and get the same problem with both the plugin and the TWAIN driver.

Cheers
Mike

ilyons
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby ilyons » Wed Dec 19, 2001 12:08 am

On 2001-12-18 23:58, Mike_Thomson wrote:
Hi folks

I'm having a weird problem here. I'm scanning slide positives, using my Microtek X12 USL via SCSI and SilverFast 5.5.0r18 on a Macintosh G4.

Everything works perfectly as far as I can see, prescans are fine, I can zoom in to perfect the selection guides, but when I do the final scan, something very odd happens.

SilverFast scans the same amount of the bed area, at the right height, but about 1 inch to the left of where the slide is.

As I said, prescan is fine, I can select the area I'm interested in and the zoomed prescan is also fine, but the final scan gets me a different area of the bed altogether!

Your help will be much appreciated!

Mike (currently 'aiming off' and getting crappy results!)

I don't know the scanner that well and have never used it with Silverfast. However, is it posible that you somehow have a second prescan frame created and it is this that is being scanned rather than the full frame? You can delete ALL the prescan frames by clicking the little red trashcan and rectangle icon last from bottom of the icon column on the preview screen.

A guess but it was the solution for a couple of other users who contacted me privately.

Ian

Mike_Thomson
Visitor

Postby Mike_Thomson » Wed Dec 19, 2001 1:26 am

Hi Ian

Thanks for the suggestion, but your idea is not the solution for me.

On further experimentation, I have the problem stated backwards I think.

If I do a prescan in transparency mode, with a single selection of the maximum area, I get a white field (expected) but with the right hand edge of the TMA as well.

Since there is no point in scanning past the edges of the TMA, I think the *prescan* is at fault, 'looking' to the right of where it should be.

Thus when I use the selection tool to pick out my area of interest, I'm actually selecting an area to one side of the bit I want, thus the problem.

If anyone is willing, I can do some example scans and post them, because I'm confusing myself at this point!

Cheers
Mike

Wallyk
SilverFast Beginner

Postby Wallyk » Mon Dec 24, 2001 3:52 pm

I had the same problem with my Nikon LS-2000 on a Windows system. I had to calibrate by cut and try until I managed a prescan that actually gave me the required area. It was a problem until I downloaded 5.5 or18 when It went away

pezzab
Visitor

Postby pezzab » Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:05 pm

I have the same problem, only the offset is vertical not horizontal with both reflective and transparent scans.
I am running SF as a plug-in via Photoshop 7 (and have downloaded any relevant updates) using a Microtek 8700 and a PC running Windows 98.
I have corresponded with Lasersoft directly about this, but despite their efforts have not been able to find a solution. I have had the same problems whilst running through Photoshop 6.

Does anybody have any similar experience or even better a solution!!

Perry

Return to “Microtek”