Positive transparencies and calibration

flatbed scanners for Microtek

Richard Honey
Visitor

Postby Richard Honey » Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:50 am

I'm having problems getting good results scanning positive transparencies on my ArtixScan 1800f, operating under Mac OSX 10.2.6. I've calibrated the scanner using the Kodak Q60 targets supplied - although there are no curve files for these targets installed, I downloaded the files from the Kodak site and am pretty convinced I've got the correct ones. Certainly reflective scanning using the IT8 profile works very well.But with trannies the results seem over saturated with magenta and generally much darker than they should be - the main problem is that on some scans shadow areas turn to a burnt red, and none of the colour controls in either SF AI or Photoshop seem capable of removing this. I actually often get better results with the IT* profile disabled, though the match between preview and scan is not good and the scans are still a bit dark often.
Given the ease with which I can scan positive prints, scanning transparencies is a real pain in comparison, having to mess with colour and contrast controls etc and still not with brilliant results.
I've read up on colour management and reckon I've got that set up correctly. I've experimented scanning RGB and CMYK etc, but results are pretty similar in all modes.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might improve things?
many thanks.

LSI_Rossee
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Rossee » Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:23 am

Dear Richard Honey.

I've calibrated the scanner using the Kodak Q60 targets

Since you are mentioning targets I assume you created a calibration for both reflective and transparent mode?!

I would be interested which Version of Silverfast you are using.

Kind regards.

Richard Honey
Visitor

Postby Richard Honey » Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:05 pm

Keil

Thanks for your speedy response.
Yes I have calibrated for both Reflective and Transmissive.
I'm using SF 6.1.0r5 which I think is the latest.

I'm using Adobe RGB 1998 as the RGB profile, mostly scan as CMYK plug n Play, use colorsync + automatic setting to co-ordinate with Photoshop, embed Euroscale coated v2 to embed in the files ( I most work to print) and have calibrated my monitor using the Apple Display calibrator in OSX. As I say, Reflective scans look mostly pretty hot.

Flesh tones are particularly affected - I've tried using the Flesh tones setting but this makes things look darker - especially if scanning black and Asian faces. But even white faces sometimes get the 'red' shadow - it's as if I've done some curve tweaking in Photoshop to create a special effect - not completely distorted colours but definitely not like the original photo - and a reddish cast to it all.

Return to “Microtek”