Negs scanning as positive in 48 bit mide

flatbed scanners for Microtek

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 27, 2001 6:48 pm

Can anybody suggest a solution for this - when scanning negs at 48 bits the preview shows the image as positivised but the actual scan turns out as a negative. I dont have this problem when I use Microtec Scanwizard so its something specific to Silverfast.

Mac OS 9.1. Silverfast 5.2. Photoshop 6.

Thanks ? Paul B.

ilyons
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby ilyons » Thu Dec 27, 2001 9:30 pm

Paul,

What you are getting is perfectly normal. When you set Silverfast to 48bit HDR colour mode it will output the image in its original state, whatever that may be. You can set it to make the gamma adjustment - nothing else in the way of colour/tone/inversion.

If you need to convert from Neg to Pos then do so in Photoshop using the Invert command under the Image menu. The other possiblty is to use SilverFast HDR

ian

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 30, 2001 11:39 am

Thanks for this tip Ian. The only thing is - if Microtec's Scanwizard can open a 48 bit neg in photoshop as a positive then why not Silverfast?

ilyons
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby ilyons » Sun Dec 30, 2001 1:09 pm

On 2001-12-30 11:39, Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for this tip Ian. The only thing is - if Microtec's Scanwizard can open a 48 bit neg in photoshop as a positive then why not Silverfast?

Hmm, because SilverFast can't and ScanWizard can would be the simple and probaly less than helpful response.

On the otherhand - two companies - two different views on the world and both paying attention to their user base. If LaserSoft change to the same approach as MicroTech then they can remove Negafix from HDR since it may no longer work. They could of course completely rewrite the code so that NegaFix worked on an inverted version of the negative. New film profiles, more bugs and more screams! They could also add a simple checkbox that the user could select when they want inverted negatives in 48bit mode (I think that would be best)

Now if the only thing that ScanWizrd does that SilverFast can't and all you want is a positive version of your scanned neg in Photohop that is VERY easily fixed. Image>Adjust>Invert . Keyboard shortcut on a PC is Ctrl+I or on the Mac use the Applekey+I . Either way it takes a few seconds requires no new code and leaves a neg as a neg and keeps a whole bunch of users happy with what they have.

You posed a good question and hopefully my answer helps you appreciate some of the posible difficulties. I like the idea of a chackbox On for Inverted Neg and Off for neg as a neg

Ian

(someday I'll manage to get at least 50% of my spelling correct)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ilyons on 2001-12-30 18:00 ]</font>

LSI_Leschke
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Leschke » Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:39 pm

SilverFast 5.5.2 will allow you to do the neg-pos conversion using NegaFix and still maintain a 48 Bit output.

Return to “Microtek”