NegaFix and Batch Scans

flatbed scanners for Microtek

GButch
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby GButch » Thu Oct 25, 2001 11:35 am

Several batch mode problems went away with the Oct 17 update of SF, but I continue to get poor results when batch scanning color negatives. Usually a bluish color cast.

I've come to believe that the problem stems from the fact that Silverfast does not retain the enlarged prescans of the individual selected frames.

My Microtek ScanMaker-5 will prescan 2 strips of 35 mm negatives, 6 frames each. An enlarged prescan of an individual frame will scan beautifully into PhotoShop.

But when I select a number of frames for batch scanning, NegaFix seems to be evaluating the lower resolution images that were obtained in the initial full bed prescan.

I've run enough experiments now to believe this is actually the case.

Comments ?? Suggestions ???

SF Ai 5.5. PhotoShop 6.01. Windows 98 SE

Thank You.

George Butch
Plantation, FL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GButch on 2001-10-25 12:37 ]</font>

President_LSI
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby President_LSI » Thu Oct 25, 2001 10:09 pm

Batch Scans with NegaFix

I think you are right. It is because the Auto-Orange-Mask process is always active by default. You should disable the Auto-Orange-Mask in the NegaFix Expert dialog after your have zoomed in.

We will recheck the process and see how we can enhance the batch for negatives!

GButch
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby GButch » Sun Oct 28, 2001 1:16 pm

Thanks,

I had come to the same conclusion about how to work around the problem. This works well.

Also, I had hoped that by performing the initial prescan at higher resolution, I could zoom in on the frames and avoid making numerous enlarged prescans. But even at 8x (which takes a long time to prescan), the zoomed image differs quite a bit from an individual enlarged prescan.

One additional note. The new on-line manual is a vast improvement. Thank you.

GButch...

Return to “Microtek”