Monoco EZ Color VS Silverfast IT8 Calibration

flatbed scanners for Microtek

Aron_Hoag
Visitor

Monoco EZ Color VS Silverfast IT8 Calibration

Postby Aron_Hoag » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:41 pm

I recently purchased a Microtek i900 scanner with Silverfast AI 6 after years of using Epson scanners via TWAIN import in Photoshop. I must say that it's like I've been handed the keys to a Porsche after driving a scooter.

I also use Monaco EZ color w/ OPTIX XR to calibrate my workflow, but now have the option of using the internal IT8 calibration in Silverfast.

I have profiled both Monaco and Silverfast and have studied the ICC profiles. The Silverfast AI profile has a very large color gamut, while the Monaco EZ color scanner profile is more similar to my working space Adobe RGB (1998), and my Monaco produced Monitor profile.

One side says use Monaco's profile because it is a packaged deal that also profiles the monitor and printer. The other side says use the Silverfast profile because the larger color gamut is more accurate.

Which ICC profile should I trust and use in color conversions? The profile produced from Monaco, or the internal IT8 profile via Silverfast and why?

Thanks for any help in advance. - Aron Hoag

LSI_Rossee
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Rossee » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:20 am

Dear Aron_Hoag.

I say --> trust the SilverFast profile, what else ;-)

But seriously you do want the best possible basis as a start, especially for archiving purposes.

Cheers,

Jan

Aron_Hoag
Visitor

IT8

Postby Aron_Hoag » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:10 pm

Hello Jan,

I knew the larger Silverfast profile was more accurate, I was just worried about the big difference between the Monaco & Silverfast produced profiles. It seems like there is a lot more complex color conversions going on with the Silverfast to Adobe RGB than Monaco. I will go ahead and re-profile the i900 using the internal calibration and start a new.

Thanks for your time Jan. - Aron Hoag

Return to “Microtek”