Photoshop Plugin: How should it behave?

Problems with installing SilverFast

Gabej
Visitor

Photoshop Plugin: How should it behave?

Postby Gabej » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:36 am

In photoshop I "imported/plugins/silverfast" and all this action does is open the Silverfast application. I may be thinking about a "plug in" incorrectly but shouldn't I be able to work on an image and move back and forth between the two applications? Currently I have to save the silverfast image and then close that application before I can manipulate it in Photoshop. Do I have it installed correctly? What should the photoshop plug-in enable me to do?
Gabe Johnson
Seattle, WA

LSI_Flyvbjerg
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Flyvbjerg » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:52 am

Dear Gabe.

This behaviour is correct.
A plugin is a kind of sub function. While a plugin is running you are not able to work with other images in PhotoShop.

You could of course use the SF_Launcher application to start SilverFast. In this case, you could have PhotoShop and SF_Launcher/SilverFast run independent of each other and you could manipulate images in PhotoShop while SilverFast is open in SF_Launcher.

Best regards
Eric Flyvbjerg

Cmanph57
Visitor

This may help

Postby Cmanph57 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:21 pm

If you have to save in a file and quit SilverFast and then find and open the file in Photoshop Elements, then there is a way to fix this. In SilverFast, go to the General Tab, and set Scan Mode to Normal. (It can also be set to Normal (file), which requires you to save to a file - which is generally what you do not want if you lauched from Photoshop). I find this works. When you close SilverFast, the scan you just did, opens automagically in Photoshop.

One other thing I did, but not sure if this is needed, is if you launch SilverFast by itself (not from Photoshop) a Launcher screen appears. I made sure that the Plugin field is pointed to the SilverFast app in the Photoshop folder in which the plugin is located, and open automatically is checked. I did not reverse this just to find out, because I got it working and did not wish to break it.

MicroSF6
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby MicroSF6 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:46 pm

dear LSI_Flyvbjerg,

i do most of my adjustments and image manipulation in adobe photoshop cs, after i scan. but is there any advantaged to using silverfast as a plug-in to photoshop, other than having the image open immediately in photoshop when the scan is complete? it seems to me that this is a small advantage when compared with the advantage of using silverfast as a stand-alone: namely, that i can work on another image in photoshop while a 1-hour scan is taking place in silverfast.

but i wonder if i am misunderstanding something, because i know that in several places on our site your company recommends using silverfast as a plug-in for photoshop id i have photoshop, "unless you do not need the full capabilities of photoshop" but why can't i jsut use those full capabilities of photoshop after opening the file in photoshop later? i don't understand.

sincerely,

mark

LSI_Flyvbjerg
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Flyvbjerg » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:35 am

Dear Mark.

The recommandation of using SilverFast as a plugin thogether with PhotoShop means the following:

In SilverFast, you can set profiles for input, monitor and output conversion and you can set the method of conversions. This is done in the CMS panel of the options dialog. PhotoShop offers a special callback function which can be used to display image data on the monitor. To use this function you need to set "Internal -> Monitor" (in the "Colour Managment" section of the CMS panel) to "Automatic". Selecting "Automatic" ensures that the image you see in the SilverFast preview matches exactly the image you see in PhotoShop later, because the PhotoShop function is used to display image data (and the same monitor profile is applied). The SF Launcher doesn?t offer such a callback function, because it doesn?t view images itself.

It might be worth to consider the advantage of working WYSIWYG against the advantage to work simultaneously in PhotoShop while scanning.

Another way to use the "Automatic" feature would be to:
1. Open SilverFast in PhotoShop.
2. Make a prescan and set your correction parameters (the preview is displayed as it would be in PhotoShop, if "Automatic" is selected).
3. Leave SilverFast.
4. Open SilverFast in SF Launcher and hit "Scan".
5. Now switch back to PhotoShop and work on another image while scanning.

Best regards
Eric Flyvbjerg

woods
Visitor

Postby woods » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:23 pm

Dear Eric Flyvbjerg,

thank you very much for your advice. it has taken me a while to start applying it. now that i am a bit more experienced with silverfast and photoshop, i wonder if you could answer my next, related question.

does your advice (on the topic of using SF as a photoshop plug-in versus using SF through the SF Launcher as a stand-alone) change for me when i am using SF Ai 6 to make "48 Bit HDR Color" scans (a.k.a. "raw" scans), and then opening them in SF HDR for processing and converting and adjusting, and then opening them in photoshop for further adjusting and editing? this is my standard procedure now, with both negative and positive film (almost all my scanning is of negative film).

given that there are no adjustments to make while doing a raw scan, is there any disadvantage to doing the raw scan with SF Ai 6 through the SF Launcher while i am working on something else in photoshop (printing, for example)? if i understand your previous advice, then i cannot work in SF HDR to process the resulting raw scan in a WYSIWYG way unless i have Internal->Monitor set to Automatic, which is only possible if i operate HDR as a plug-in. correct?

and this work-around you sugested:
"Another way to use the "Automatic" feature would be to:
2. Make a prescan and set your correction parameters (the preview is displayed as it would be in PhotoShop, if "Automatic" is selected).
3. Leave SilverFast.
4. Open SilverFast in SF Launcher and hit "Scan".
5. Now switch back to PhotoShop and work on another image while scanning."

--would this work even if i were using SDR inSF HDR? would the settings and layers of SDR all remain the same after i open SF in SF launcher?

thank you for your help!

sincerely,

mark

LSI_Flyvbjerg
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Flyvbjerg » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:48 am

Dear Mark.

You are right.

If you use SF Ai to produce 48-bit HDR files, you can easily use the SF Launcher instead of PhotoShop. No changes are made to the image (beside a possible gamma) and therefore there is no need for working WYSIWYG here.

Using a WYSIWYG display mode in HDR is only possible if you set Internal->Monitor to Automatic, which is only possible if the host application of HDR offers a callback function to display image data on screen (like PhotoShop). Please note that WYSIWYK here means that the preview/prescan you see in SilverFast is identical with the image you see in PhotoShop after scanning/processing.

Almost all settings are the same nevertheless whether you open SilverFast through PhotoShop or the SF Launcher. The only setting which is different is the scan mode (scan (normal) / scan (file)).

Best regards
Eric Flyvbjerg

woods
Visitor

Postby woods » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:22 am

wow! thank you for your prompt reply. this confirmation clarifies things for me. however, i am still hoping to learn your opinion on this matter:

earlier you sugested this work-around:
"Another way to use the 'Automatic' feature would be to:
3. Leave SilverFast.
4. Open SilverFast in SF Launcher and hit 'Scan.'
5. Now switch back to PhotoShop and work on another image while scanning."

Would this work even if i were using SDR (Smart Defect Removal) in SF HDR? would my settings and layers of SDR (and my most specific defect removals on a specific image) all remain the same after I close the plug-in version of SF HDR and then open SF HDR in SF launcher and hit 'Scan'?

thank you again.

sincerely,

mark

woods
Visitor

Postby woods » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:33 am

OOPS! i meant "SRD" (Smart Removal of Defects), not "SDR". Sorry for any confusion this might have caused in my previous two messages!

Best regards,
mark

RAG
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby RAG » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:58 pm

Mark,

In my experience, the answer is yes. SilverFast will still contain all of your settings.
Member in good standing - NAPP
A picture is worth a thousand words! :-)

Return to “Installation Problems”