Need help scanning 110 format negs

General topics about imaging

heinz
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Need help scanning 110 format negs

Postby heinz » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:30 pm

I have a Coolscan 4000/ED and it works great for 35mm format.

I have some 110 format negatives, some are just the 110 format strip, others had a paper strip added by the processor (back in the 70's).

I can't put them in a 35mm carrier as I originally thought as too much is covered by the carrier edges.

Means I either need a different carrier or even a flatbed or? scanner.
The Canon CanoScan 9950F came to mind.

I'm hoping that someone can share solutions and experiences or just simply ideas that will help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Update: My trusty? local computer store had the Canon and also the Epson 4990 Photo, which seemed to have similar specs. I'm thinking of getting the Epson. Your comments pro and con will be much appreciated.

RAG
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby RAG » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:24 pm

Heinz,

I had an Epson 4870 which I upgraded to a 4990, but neither came with a holder for 110 format film. I purchased an MF Film holder with glass and was able to scan on my 4870 by taping the 110 film to the film holder glass. Not the elegant solution I had hoped for, but it did work.
Member in good standing - NAPP
A picture is worth a thousand words! :-)

heinz
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby heinz » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:46 pm

RAG,

Is there a problem with laying the 110 strip right onto the glass of the scanner? Aside from being able to keep it straight :-)

Which model holder did you get and were?

degrub
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby degrub » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:27 am

newton rings for one thing. That's why the film holders are used to get the film slightly off the surface of the glass. Usually, a flatbed has sufficient depth of field so focus is not a problem.

You could get a FH3 holder modified to hold anti-newton glass and try that in the CS4000. Search in the newsgroup archives of comp.periphs.scanners

Return to “Imaging in general”