General topics about imaging

pkr1979
SilverFast Beginner
Scanner: Epson V700
SilverFast Product: SE

Does zooming affect scan quality

Postby pkr1979 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:55 pm

Hi,

Im sure this is a silly question, but - when i batch scan 120 film (Epson V700) I dont zoom in on each frame to scan it, I just scan them from the prescan. I suppose this doesnt affect the quality. The function of the zoom is only to adjust the frame more accurate and to get a better view of the photo when necessary I assume?

Cheers
Peter

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Re: Does zooming affect scan quality

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:15 am

Dear Peter,

Depending on the chosen Scan resolution a zoom can also give you more pixels and therefore a more precise histogram.
In case you are using an Ai Studio you can raise the Prescan resolution in the Preferences' General tab. That way you can get the data without zooming into the image. This wold also allow you to zoom in without rescanning the image.

Kind regards,
Arne

pkr1979
SilverFast Beginner

Postby pkr1979 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:26 pm

So, does that mean if a have prescanned 6 negatives of 120 film and I know I'll scan them all I will have to zoom in on all of them to get the best scan? If I choose to scan at 2400 dpi isnt that what the scanner will do with area I have chosen regardless of how enlarged that area is on my screan?

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:03 pm

For full data on the images you need to either zoom in or raise the preview resolution.
However that is not a must, you can often also do the adjustment in preview. However if you get the feeling it does not give you good results try zooming in or using the higher preview resolution.

Kind regards,
Arne

pkr1979
SilverFast Beginner

Postby pkr1979 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:25 pm

I'm not sure we understand each other here... will how you view the image in preview actually affect the pixel count?

I scanned some 6x8 negatives and they have the resolution 5415x7415 (these I scanned in preview mode without zooming in on each one). And then I scanned som 6x4,5 negatives (zoomed in on each - in preview) and they are 5271x3837. All other settings are the same... arent these scans of the same quality (taken into account the different negative size)?

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:32 am

The size of the frame of cause dictates how many pixels the final image will have. As long as the sam escan resolution is being used they will both have the same amount of details.

Kind regards,
Arne

Return to “Imaging in general”