Archiving Negatives

General topics about imaging

jhelton
Visitor
Scanner: Nikon LS4000
SilverFast Product: Archive Suite

Archiving Negatives

Postby jhelton » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:47 am

I have the v8 Archive Suite and I want to archive all of my old negatives using 64 Bit HDRI to keep as much data in the scan as my Nikon LS-4000 scanner can obtain. I understand this format is for a quick RAW scan for processing with HDR Studio later but the output size is still an accessible feature in Studio and my question is should I leave it at the default of 100% for the scan since I can upscale it later if needed in HDR Studio? My main wish is to capture as much data in the scan now so I can have it available should the original negative be lost or damaged.

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Re: Archiving Negatives

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:54 pm

Dear customer,

The resolution and MultiExposure are the only things you have to select when scanning 64bit HDRi images.
These are hardware settings which can not be changed later.

Most people who seek a good balance of image size, scan speed and quality use a hardware resolution between 2000 and 3000 dpi.
For most devices this is about 2400dpi.

If disk space and time is not an issue you can also select the maximum hardware resolution.
(The second to last setting which is marked yellow.)

Kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

degrub
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Re: Archiving Negatives

Postby degrub » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Dear jhelton,

The CS-4000 can resolve about 2700 ppi maximum. Unless you are having aliasing issues with film grain, oversampling by scanning at 4000 ppi only costs storage space and a little time. Down sampling is generally a better idea than up sampling for the impact on image quality. If you scan at 2000 ppi ( other values are interpolated) you shouldn't see any aliasing issues with the film, but you are giving up resolution for printing output - you would be limited to about 6x-8x enlargement depending on the printer driver optimal resolution. There are good algorithms in other software for additional enlargement up to about 4x or more depending on the printing quality you need.
There are good discussions in the forums and tutorials here:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com

Frank

Return to “Imaging in general”