Vista x64 Status?

Problems with Windows/Mac OS, Photoshop or Twain hosted programs

Moderators: LSI_Moeller, LSI_Ketelhohn

Devonshire
Visitor

Vista x64 Status?

Postby Devonshire » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:18 am

I had checked back 3-4 months ago, and was told that the Vista x64 version was the next priority and would be issued soon....

I now have a new Epson V750 Pro on my desk and need the software.... It came with what I think is Ai version 6.5 but it won't load on my x64 system. I tried the upgrade in the online store and it didn't list Vista x64 as a supported OS. :~(

Can you give me a hhint when the Vista x64 version will be available???

LSI_Heidorn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Re: Vista x64 Status?

Postby LSI_Heidorn » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:59 am

Dear Devonshire,
you are perfectly right, we planned to add V64 support soon at that time, but 2 things happened:
-1- The priorities of other projects became higher
-2- V64 is not the success that Microsoft anticipated and most Users stay with XP or V32, so the prio of the porting got lower.

So basically the plan is still there but it is postponed and i cannot seriously give you a timeline, we will do a lot of planning & rescheduling after the Photokina...

I know that isn't helpful for you, but i wanted to make things understandable !

Greetings,

Nils Heidorn

Devonshire
Visitor

Postby Devonshire » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:29 am

Something to consider:

On 9-23-2008 Adobe just released their new CS4 Suite which includes an x64 bit version of Photoshop
http://store.adobe.com/store/en_us/popup/software/photoshop4/systemreqs.html

And Adobe recently released Lightroom v2.0 with a x64 bit version (I have that, works great).

That will create more demand for Vista x64 systems now that the "Killer Apps" have arrived.

By the way, recently I was at a Best Buy store south of San Francisco and a majority of the new laptops and computers were running the x64 bit versions of Vista Home Premium.

Hmmmm....

Please reconsider the priorities. Need a BETA tester? I would be more than happy to help out.

jl
Visitor

Postby jl » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:40 pm

64 bit applications are here to stay, especially for the more sophisticated users who are the likely purchasers of Silverfast. Some stats:

- some recent stats on OS shipments show that the 64 bit versions of Windows are *more* popular than the 32 bit versions. In fact it is more accurate to state the 64 bit has been more popular than Microsoft expected, especially at the consumer level. As memory gets less expensive, the shift will happen even faster.

- Similarly, the statement that most users are staying with XP is way out of date. The advantages of Vista for large memory and multicore systems is substantial and had been validated by extensive third party testing.

- with the sole exception of Silverfast, every single device I need has 64 bit drivers. That includes four separate models of printers, three scanners, color calibration, graphics tables, and everything else. In fact, just about all the drivers have been available for close to three years, when we started running 64 bit XP.

- there are a lot of 64 bit applications in the pipeline. Devonshire mentioned Photoshop and Lightroom, both of which I've been using for many months and both of which are notably superior to their 32 bit versions. Many more are on the way, and every use of them will be prevented from using Silverfast. Every new upgrade means one less Silverfast user. Nobody will give up Photoshop to run Silverfast.

Having to switch computers to do a scan is very inconvenient -- enough so that we won't do it. We do not want to set up separate scanning computers running an out of date OS just so we can keep using Silverfast. Our standard workstations are all Vista 64 with 16 - 96GB ram. Forcing someone to use a 4GB XP machine just to access SIlverfast is not a viable option. Installing two computers - one Vista and one XP - is even worse. Buying two copies of CS4 for the two machines is worse still. Photoshop is way too expensive to put on a scan-only workstation.

We are building 8 more scanning stations but must have a 64 bit, CS4 integrated solution for the scanning software. Right now we're not buying Silverfast for them.

Like Devonshire, I strongly urge you to accelerate shipment of the 64 bit version.

LSI_Luebker
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Luebker » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:12 pm

Dear jl,

thank you for your interest in SilverFast,
at the moment we are working on the next major release of SilverFast.
Can you please tell me which version of SilverFast you want to use with Vista 64 ?

best regards,

Thomas Lübker,

LaserSoft Imaging AG
best regards,

Thomas Luebker,
LaserSoft Imaging AG

jl
Visitor

Postby jl » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:40 pm

Can you please tell me which version of SilverFast you want to use with Vista 64 ?

It would be great to install 6.6 to get automatic frame detection and the other nice features. Thanks.

Devonshire
Visitor

Postby Devonshire » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:15 pm

I'd like to have SilverFast Ai for the Epson V750 Pro Scanner that will work on my Vista x64 system and operate with the x64 version of Adobe's CS4 Suite.

*Please* !

Bill Wood
SilverFast Professional
SilverFast Professional
Scanner: Epson 10000XL
Plustek 8200i
Plustek 120
SilverFast Product: Archive Suite

Postby Bill Wood » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:47 pm

Thomas - I strongly agree with JL's post above! My two workstations I use for professional photography are running Vista 64-bit and run 64-bit Photoshop CS3. I have a third WinXP 32-bit computer so I can use Silverfast 6.6 with my negatives on my Epson 10000XL Photo scanner. A real pain in the arse! I have been crying for a Vista 64 bit Silverfast version for the 10000XL for more than TWO years. Build a fire under the software engineers! We professionals need Silverfast 64!

Bill Wood Photography
Barstow, CA USA

LSI_Luebker wrote:Dear jl,
thank you for your interest in SilverFast,
at the moment we are working on the next major release of SilverFast.
best regards,
Thomas Lübker,
LaserSoft Imaging AG

LSI_Heidorn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Heidorn » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:59 am

Dear all,
i am posting this to some threads so please excuse the "generic" wording :-)

Just recently we got the official promise of support from EPSON to help us in getting the recent EPSON Scanners to work with Vista64.
Honestly we did not push this too hard as demand for Vist64 was'nt that great before but as we learned from these forums its growing !
So YES, we are now actively in the process of solving this Problem.
Please have some more patience as there will be quite a lot of back & forth with EPSON to overcome several obstacles but i am optimistic that we will get to work at least the latest models ( VXXX Series ) !

best regards,

Nils Heidorn, R & D

SilverTree
Visitor

Postby SilverTree » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:57 pm

I'd love to be able to use my Epson 4990 Photo on my Vista 64 workstation. I currently scan on another computer via SilverFast SE, but it's inconvenient to say the least.

Thanks for the Support! I love the Silverfast line of software!

BJN
Visitor

Postby BJN » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:47 pm

I also moved up from Windows XP to Vista x64 to take advantage of Photoshop CS4's 64 bit version. I have Silverfast AI for the Epson V750 and would like to run it on my new workstation.

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:01 pm

Dear SilverFast users,

The status of this project has not change much, hence I would like to qoute my colleague on his official statement concerning this matter.

LSI_Heidorn wrote:Dear all,
i am posting this to some threads so please excuse the "generic" wording :-)

Just recently we got the official promise of support from EPSON to help us in getting the recent EPSON Scanners to work with Vista64.
Honestly we did not push this too hard as demand for Vist64 was'nt that great before but as we learned from these forums its growing !
So YES, we are now actively in the process of solving this Problem.
Please have some more patience as there will be quite a lot of back & forth with EPSON to overcome several obstacles but i am optimistic that we will get to work at least the latest models ( VXXX Series ) !

best regards,

Nils Heidorn, R & D

Thank you very much for your immense patience and infinite understanding.

Apologies for any inconvenience
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing

Gewuerz
Visitor

Postby Gewuerz » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:38 pm

A Unoffical Vista X64 driver of LS-8000ED/9000ED can you find: http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00Ryck
Now waiting for a 64bit Silverfast.

Wolfgang
www.photowerkstatt-dresden.de

LSI_Luebker
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Luebker » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:58 am

Thank you for the Information Wolfgang.

best regards,

Thomas Luebker,
LaserSoft Imaging AG
best regards,

Thomas Luebker,
LaserSoft Imaging AG

bernysong
Visitor

Postby bernysong » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:17 pm

Hello,
I have also moved from XP 32 to VISTA 64 to take advantage of CS4 capabilities and bought, at the same time, a new scanner EPSON 10000XL which is delivered (in France) with SILVERFAST AI. It does not work. I join all the fellows who are asking for a 64 bits version to get it asap. It is absolutely needed by the professionnals. Thanks.

Return to “Host related problems”