Not enough memory for prescan !!!!!!

Problems with Windows/Mac OS, Photoshop or Twain hosted programs

Moderators: LSI_Moeller, LSI_Ketelhohn

photogreen
SilverFast Beginner

Not enough memory for prescan !!!!!!

Postby photogreen » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:29 am

So I have Nikon Coolscan 8000 with newest version of Ai6. I'm on a G4 dual GhZ running OS 10.3.2 with 1.75 GB of RAM with 1.2GB allocated to Photoshop. I was using my scanner fine with 35mm neg holder, but when I put in my 6x7 neg holder I got this message "not enough memory for prescan". What do you mean???? I have enough memory to run the Space Shuttle. Now when I just tried with the 35mm holder it doesn't work either. I've restarted, turned off, unplugged, what gives?????? For as much as this program costs it has way too many bugs!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!! I NEED TO SCAN!!!!!! :x :x [/b]
MacPro Quad Core 2.8 Ghz / 6gb RAM / OS 10.5.2

LSI_Noack
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Noack » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:41 am

Dear photogreen

are you using a multiple monitor setup? If so, please try with only one active monitor (on the primary output channel) and have SilverFast starting on this monitor.

photogreen
SilverFast Beginner

Postby photogreen » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:31 pm

yes I have 2 monitors, but they worked fine with the older version of Silverfast. I finally got Ai to work after unplugging both the computer and the scanner for a bit then restarting everything. Now I have a problem with spinning wheel of death (the pin wheel). When I start up the program it initializes, bring the neg tray to star position and the status light on the scanner blinks and blinks (never used to do that), so eventually I eject the tray or I force quit. Sometimes I'll even get into the program fine and then when it's time to prescan the image the pinwheel spins and spins....... I thought that updates fix bugs not make them!!!!!!! What's the deal with the 2 monitor set-up any way??? That;s the way almost all professionals work...isn't this a professional program??? :x
MacPro Quad Core 2.8 Ghz / 6gb RAM / OS 10.5.2

LSI_Noack
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Noack » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:30 am

Dear photogreen

I admit that it would preferable to use SilverFast in a multi monitor environment. Usually it works fine if you have SilverFast appearing on the primary display.
Sometimes, however, it generates a misleading "out of memory" error.
I am sorry to say that we have not a solution to this ready at hand.

The LS-8000 to me is - quite frankly - a little diva. Brilliant results, a bit fickle, too.
Turn it on. Let it take its time - wait until the green lamp not longer flashes.
Carefully, slowly insert the tray. Reluctantly it takes it in, don't push, don't rush it - the LS-8000 does it by its own speed. Wait again until the green LED stays on, flashing no more.
Ah, now its done, its ready for scanning. Now you can finally start SilverFast...

LSI_Noack
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Noack » Fri May 14, 2004 11:09 am

Dear photogreen

I found that sometimes, very rarely though, a corrupt image file in the prefs folder may result in the very same problem.
Deleting the prefs folder (while SilverFast is not running) will allow you to restart SilverFast again (the prefs folder is checked every time at startup of SilverFast, and - if necessary - created).

Return to “Host related problems”