SilverFast 8 Demo won't start - Epson 4490 Mac

flatbed scanners for Epson

prismalight
Visitor
Scanner: Epson Perfection 4490 Photo
SilverFast Product: SE

SilverFast 8 Demo won't start - Epson 4490 Mac

Postby prismalight » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:18 pm

I downloaded the SilverFast 8 Demo, but when I try to use it, I get the error "There was a problem starting your scanner. Please make sure your drivers are installed correctly." I have installed the latest driver for the scanner. I have the SilverFast set to run in 32 bit mode. The scanner is connected directly to the computer and is turned on. I'm on an iMac, running Yosemite. The Epson 4490 is listed as being compatible with this software. Thanks for your help!

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Re: SilverFast 8 Demo won't start - Epson 4490 Mac

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:00 pm

Dear customer,

Please make sure that you installed the Scanner Driver and EPSON Scan Utility v3.07.
The simpler ICA driver is not sufficient for use with SilverFast.
Also please try switching the scanner off and on again to make sure it is not in power saving mode.

Kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

prismalight
Visitor

Postby prismalight » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:51 pm

I already downloaded/installed “Scanner Driver & Epson Scan Utility v3.07”, so I assume that’s what’s being used if I access the scanner from System Preferences/Printers & Scanners/Epson Perfection 4490. If, however, I double click on Epson Scan.app in the Applications folder, that app crashes on startup. Not sure if this problem is related. I’ve always accessed the scanner from System Preferences. The first message I get from SilverFast is “SilverFast was not able to detect any scanner supported by your installed scan module.” Also, after I try/fail to use SilverFast, if I start up the scanner from System Preferences, I get an error - “Failed to open a session on the device”, and I have to restart the computer before it will work again.

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:30 pm

Dear customer,

it sound s like your file permissions might be corrupted.

Have you already tried to repair the disk permissions using the OS X disk utility?
(Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility -> select main hard drive (Macintosh HD) ->click repair disk permissions)

If that does not help please create a fresh user in the OS X System Preferences -> Users&Groups.
Unlock the screen and click the little + below the user list.
Create an admin user and log out of your current account.
Login to the freshly created user and test if you can use SilverFast/Epson Scan there.

If this does not help I will forward you to our support department because I will need some log files.

Kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

prismalight
Visitor

Postby prismalight » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:47 pm

Hi Arne -
I repaired permissions, then started SilverFast with the scanner turned on and no other applications running, including the EpsonScan… this produced the same result as before (SilverFast not able to detect scanner), including the error from the Epson software (failed to open a session...) accessed via System Preferences after quitting SilverFast. I then created a new user account, logged in, and started SilverFast from there... same result.
Is it possible I've downloaded the wrong demo - one that's incompatible with the Epson 4490? I accessed the one I downloaded by following the links from the 4490 page on the SilverFast site.
Thanks!

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:08 pm

Dear customer,

If the downloaded file has "EPSON" in its name it contains the correct module for your device.
I have forwarded your post to our support center.
We will be needing the logfile and possibly OS X error report for further analysis.

Kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

Return to “Epson”