Settings forBatch Scanning Slides

flatbed scanners for Epson

s.oakes
Visitor
Scanner: Epson V700
SilverFast Product: SE

Settings forBatch Scanning Slides

Postby s.oakes » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:07 pm

I have been experimenting with batch scanning slides using Silverfast 8 SE and my Epson V700. I have some thousands of slides to scan and I think that in theory if the slides are well exposed, one master setting for exposure and colour balance in the software should enable good results for all scans, with only minor corrections needed afterwards in Photoshop, Picasa etc.

I have been adjusting settings to get good results from one image in preview mode and then copying settings to all slides and then doing a batch scan, but results do not seem consistent. I have looked at all help videos and the other forum topics, but there does not seen to be any help with getting any help with this (surely common) problem.

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Re: Settings forBatch Scanning Slides

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:56 pm

Dear customer,

Please make sure you are using the latest version of SilverFast 8.
It allows the copying of the dynamic image adjustment.
Previously the values of the Histogram were copied and it was necessary to execute the image auto adjustment for each image individually.

Kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

s.oakes
Visitor
Scanner: Epson V700
SilverFast Product: SE

Postby s.oakes » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:28 pm

Thanks for that, but to clarify:

I have the latest version of the software (Silverfast 8 SE) and have been using three slides as test pieces, all Agfa slide film about 25 years old. One was taken in sunshine, two were taken in overcast conditions. When viewed as slides they appear of similar brightness, but the one taken in sunshine obviously has greater contrast and better colour.

Scanned without any exposure or colour correction they are all dark and have a blue colour cast.

I have two techniques that give the best results:
1. Prescan, find slide frames, choose the slide taken in sun, enlarge, use the neutral pipette tool to choose black level on a black part of the slide, adjust histogram for white level, copy settings to all slides, do a batch scan. Good results for slide taken in sun, the others are still too dark.

2. Prescan, find slide frames, choose the slide taken in sun, enlarge, use AutoCCR button to correct colour and exposure, adjust histogram mid point level to brighten slides, copy settings to all slides, do a batch scan. Good results for slide taken in sun, colour balance is a little more natural, the others are still too dark.

Any further tips would be welcome. I would like to have one procedure to follow that will easily cope with all slides.

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:58 am

Dear customer,

You will have to use different settings for the dark and bright images.
The other slides will probably have different highlights and shadows.

The adjustments you made for the sunny picture will not fit the darker ones.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

Return to “Epson”