Questions Regarding Auto Calibrate

flatbed scanners for Epson

otrman
Visitor
Scanner: Epson Perfection V750-PRO
SilverFast Product: Ai

Questions Regarding Auto Calibrate

Postby otrman » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:39 am

I just purchased an Epson V750 PRO that came with Silverfast AI for the Epson Perfection V750 PRO. I have upgraded it to version 8.

I have two questions:

1. I have recent IT8 targets from Monaco and the correct reference files for each. Do I have to purchase Silverfast targets or can I use these.

2. When placing the target on the scanner window should I place the target in the upper right hand corner the the 7" edge on top or should I place the target in the upper right hand corner with the 5" edge on top?

I have no real detailed information on this process as the booklet that came with the scanner and Silverfast.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Otrman

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Re: Questions Regarding Auto Calibrate

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:55 am

Dear Otrman,

You can use any calibration target as long as a cleartext (.txt) reference file is available.
You only have to deactivate the auto IT8 calibration in the option's auto tab.
Please note that some targets are delivered with proprietary reference files which can not be read by SilverFast.
In that case you would need a LaserSoft Imaging target for SilverFast's IT8 calibration.
Please note that Kodachrome calibration requires special Kodachrome targets available from our webshop.

The targets should be placed in a central position.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn

otrman
Visitor

Postby otrman » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:32 pm

I know that is has been awhle but seriius illness has kept me away for calibrating or using my Epson V750. I am not getting accurate results from a couple of test scans I tried.

Version 6 of Silverfast AI came with the Scanner and I have upgraded to an older copy of version 8. Since it is an early version can you tell me which of the new versions I should download?

Where can I get the proper IT8 target and text file to use auto calibrate the scanner?

Thanks in advance,

Otrman

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:20 pm

Dear Otrman,

Our download/update area automatically offers the newest version.
So you do not have to select the correct version.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

edamski
Visitor
Scanner: Epson Perfection V750 Pro

Postby edamski » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:11 am

I also just purchased an Epson V750 PRO that came with Silverfast AI for the Epson Perfection V750 PRO. I also upgraded it to version 8. The scanner also came with a calibration software EZcolor. BUT: It is not compatible with the modern Mac OS X operating system (Mac OS X 10.8) which I have. It works only with Mac OS X 10.6 or older. I asked more information by e-mail from x-rite, and they answered:

"The software is ezColor end of life. The version 2.6.6 is supported until Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard."

So, now I have a useless calibration software. Thank you.
Question: Can I still use the targets of the ezColor with SilverFast AI 8 to calibrate it? How it works?

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:47 pm

As long as clear text (.txt) reference files are available you can use your targets with SilverFast.

The IT8 calibration will automatically request the reference file when it can not find a barcode.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

otrman
Visitor

Postby otrman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:04 pm

I have just calibrated my V750 using Silverfast and the LSI IT8 target. However it still seems that after I do the preview I have to take the material out of the scanner in order to compare what I am scanning with the preview and then tweak the color balance to get a close match to the material being scanned. I then put the material back in the scanner and do the final scan which provides a very close match to the material being scanned.

Is that normal?

Also, is there any detailed manual or book on Silverfast?

Thank you,
Otrman

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:26 am

Sorry I do not understand what you are trying to do.
Normally it is not necessary to remove the scanned material during the scan process.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

otrman
Visitor

Postby otrman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:03 pm

Sorry I was not clear.

In order for me to see if scanner accurately captured the photo or other image I have to remove it from the scanner and visually compare it to the preview panel. Unfortunately, when I do this comparison, the image I am scanning is not accurately reflected during the prescan. I then tweak the contrast and saturation controls to make the prescan look as visually accurate as my eyes can see. Once I have done that I just repeat the process using the control values I needed to make the prescan and final scan look like the image I am scanning.

Once I do that the scanned file is is imported into Adobe Lightroom and the image visually matches the original document. When I print the document the resulting print visually matches the image I was scanning.

BTW, the image I am scanning is a glossy photo.

Also, in Silverfast is there a difference between a reflective image and positive image?

I hope this clears up what I am trying to do.

edamski
Visitor
Scanner: Epson Perfection V750 Pro

Postby edamski » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:49 pm

With my Epson Perfection V750 Pro and SilverFast AI8 I was able finally to use calibration with the transparency target and I was able to create a profile. But how I use it?

In "Preferences" –> "CMS" tab –> "Input" pop-up I am able to found and select profile I've created. Then, if I close "Preferences" window. After this if I go again to "Preferences" –> "CMS" tab then I will see that the "Input" pop-up is in <None> state.

How this calibration and using of the profile could be works? I tried search information from your videos and PDFs but I cant find any help.

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:12 am

Dear otrman,

Sorry I have never heard about anyone working like that.
Normally the material remains on the scanner until it is scanned to ensure the frame stays positioned correctly.

Reflective scans can only be done in positive.
Transparency scans offer positive, negative and Kodachrome.

Dear edamski,

You are probably scanning negatives.
for these the <none> setting are correct because the NegaFix film profiles are used for this mode.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

otrman
Visitor

Postby otrman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:04 pm

It works perfectly for me. My tweaks immediately show up on the preview screen. When I am satisfied I put the photo back in the scanner and preview again knowing that my tweaks will appear in the preview window and also in the final scan.

I just don't understand why I must do this in order to get an accurate scan of the photo. I also do not understand why I cannot seem to find a reference image I can use for tweaking. Epson doesn't seem to have one, or they will not provide it to me.

I would like to get a hard copy of a standard reference image.

Thank you for your reply.

Otrman

Return to “Epson”