Printing Inaccurate Colours

flatbed scanners for Epson

grandsire02
Visitor
Scanner: V500
SilverFast Version: 6.6

Printing Inaccurate Colours

Postby grandsire02 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:44 am

I'm having problems printing accurate colours and wonder if someone can provide me with some advice, as my knowledge of the principles of colour technology is somewhat sketchy. I'm producing art prints from scans from my V500 and want to achieve an accurate colour match with the originals. The problem is that whilst the colours on my monitor seem pretty close to the originals, the colours on my prints are way out (this is particularly noticeable with the yellows). Using the Silverfast software throughout, I've done a scanner calibration with the Lasersoft IT8 target plus (several!) printer calibrations - following the instructions to the letter. My setup is as follows: Epson Perfection V500 scanner, Epson Stylus Pro 3880 printer (using Epson inks), LG Flatron 20" LCD monitor with Pantone Huey Pro, Silverfast Studio AI v.6, Windows Vista x64, Photoshop CS5. Am I doing something wrong (incorrect settings?), or could there be a problem with my setup (the scanner inadequate for the job, perhaps)? Any guidance will be much appreciated.

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Re: Printing Inaccurate Colours

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:59 pm

Which color space are you using?

Even on a calibrated system not all devices are capable of displaying the same range of color.

The scanner usually is the device with the largest color-space.
With 48bit it can provide a greater bit depth than any device could display.
(48bit is mainly for Photoshop so that Filters have more individual color steps for calculations)

Next is the Monitor which can display a lot of colors but not all.

The Printer finally has (compared to the other devices) a tiny colorspace.
(usually sRGB)

This makes it necessary, that the colors are transformed (rendered) into that colorspace.

Do you have a proofing software (SilverFast can be purchased with this capability)?
This allows you to simulate the printers output color-space on your monitor.

In case you do not need your scans for anything else but printing you can set sRGB as your output color space in the SilverFast preferences' CMS settings.

NORMALLY I would not advice to do so!
If you edit your images in Photoshop Do not use sRGB but a large color space like ProPhoto or AdobeRGB.
Using Photoshop save the image into sRGB there.
SilverFast and Photoshop allow for a much better control of the rendering taking place.
SilverFast displays the image using the intended workspace giving you more control on the output.

Rendering into sRGB in a controlled environment allows you to take that burden away from the printer driver which would normally do the transformation.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

l.j.nash
SilverFast Beginner
Scanner: Epson Perfection V750 PRO
SilverFast Product: Ai

Re: Printing Inaccurate Colours

Postby l.j.nash » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:15 pm

As you say you have Photoshop CS5 in your post you do have the ability to 'proof' your image as Arne suggests. Also as you have profiled your printer, setting up proofing should be very straight forward for you.

Open your image in Photoshop (having made any corrections you need in Silverfast before saving/exporting) and select 'View' from the task bar menu, next hover over 'Proof Setup' and then select 'Custom...'. Next select your printer calibration file (.icc) from the drop down labelled 'Device to Simulate'. I would also recommend ticking 'Simulate Paper Color' and 'Black Point Compensation'. Now select 'OK' and check that 'Proof Colors' is ticked (Ctrl+Y is the shortcut to toggle it on and off). With proof colours ticked Photoshop will simulate how your print will appear on screen (assuming you have correctly profiled your monitor, which you also state you have done, which is great).

You may also have noticed the rendering intent option available in the View -> Proof Setup -> Custom... menu. Selecting different rendering intents in particular can make a huge difference to how a print appears (depends entirely on the size of colour gamut of the source image). By selecting different rendering intents and soft proofing you can decide which intent best represents what you are trying to achieve in your printout without having to waste loads of paper and ink!

When you're happy with the proof try printing the image BUT remember to select the same rendering intent for the printer to use. You also need to make sure EITHER photoshop OR the printer are setup correctly to colour manage and NOT BOTH. This can also be a potential minefield.

Hope you find this of some help.

Lee.

Return to “Epson”