Manual IT8 Calibration

flatbed scanners for Epson

dryheat51
Visitor

Manual IT8 Calibration

Postby dryheat51 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:47 pm

Just upgraded to Ai Studio 8 and watched the movie about auto IT8 calibration which, I assume, requires a LSI target. I have been calibrating my scanner for years using the very fine targets produced by Wolf ***** under prior versions of Ai. Is it not possible to properly calibrate my scanner with anything other than an LSI produced target? That is, is manual calibration not possible?

Thank you for any insight provided.

Best regards,
AlanH

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Re: Manual IT8 Calibration

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:04 pm

Dear customer,

You can use any IT8 target with SilverFast as long as the corresponding reference data is available as a cleartext (.txt) file.
This only has to be done using the manual way.
The fully automatic IT8 calibration requires one of our targets with a bar-code on it.

You can deactivate the auto-IT8 calibration in the preferences' Auto tab.

What kind of error do you get?

Kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

dryheat51
Visitor

Postby dryheat51 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:16 pm

Hello Arne,

No error. The only documentation I could find seemed to talk only about auto-calibration, therefore I posted the question here. But, with your help directing me to turn off the auto process in preferences I was able to successfully run (I think) the calibration. The reason I say "I think" is due to the following:

1. Loaded my IT8 target into scanner and copied the reference file to the folder where the calibration process looks for it.

2. Clicked the IT8 button, and then clicked the blue arrow to start the process.

3. Following the pre-scan, I precisely moved the grid framing to cover all patches of the target exactly. This view revealed all four slots of my holder.

4. Then, another scan was done and I now had a zoomed in view and had to pick the reference file.

The entire process indicated that it succeeded, but I was not pleased that the framing of the patches moved following the zoom scan pass. Is this normal? Upon close examination, it looked like each patch was still marked correctly, but it was very close to being off on many of the cells. Also, how do I know that the calibration process is live? In Ai 6.6, small portions of the button would turn a blue color indicating that calibration was active. I don't see any change in the IT8 button in Ai Studio 8.

I would really appreciate your further feedback on the above. Thank you.

Best regards,
AlanH

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:23 pm

Dear AlanH,

If SilverFast shows the calibration successful window everything went all right.
The Delta E should stay below 3.
The lower it is the better is the calibration.
The created profile will be activated automatically.
The new profile will start with SF_T (for transparency), SF_R (for Reflective) or SF_K (for Kodachrome) followed by the device name..
The standard, pre-installed profiles all start with SFprofT, SFprofR or SFprofK.

Kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

dryheat51
Visitor

Postby dryheat51 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:47 pm

Hello Arne,

My Delta E came in at 0.6 so, based on your parameters, that sounds like an exceptionally good calibration!

Thanks for revealing the expected profile names...that's helpful. What confused me at first was that the Input profile under the CMS tab was grayed out stating that the profile was overridden by NegaFix. Guess it took me longer than it should to realize that this profile would be activated only if I'm scanning a positive source (I had been working on a bunch of negatives.) Switched the source to positive, went into Preferences, clicked on the CMS tab and there's my calibration profile sitting there all lit up and activated! :)

Thanks, again, for all your help.

Best regards,
AlanH

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:34 pm

Dear AlanH,

Yes 0.6 is an exceptionally good value.

And you are correct the Negative mode uses special film profiles for the negative to positive transformation.

Kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

max@kimber.com.au
Visitor
Scanner: Epson Perfection V700 Photo
SilverFast Product: Ai Studio

Postby max@kimber.com.au » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:07 pm

Is is necessary to purchase an IT8 transparency target if my main use of an Epson V700 is for 35mm colour negatives (many of which fit into th various Kodacolor profiles going back to 1972), using Negafix? I already own an IT8 35mm Kodachrome target. Or, as it appears from the various posts on this Forum, calibration of the scanner is unnecessary when using Negafix.
Max Kimber
Canberra
Australia

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:12 pm

Dear Max,

No you do not need to calibrate for negatives. that is correct.

Kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

Return to “Epson”