banding with Silverfast SE and Epson V700

flatbed scanners for Epson

quixotic
Visitor

banding with Silverfast SE and Epson V700

Postby quixotic » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:08 pm

I just purchased the latest version of SE yesterday, but I'm having problems with persistent banding (always in the same place on the image). I reset all the settings to factory, but then turned ICE lite on. The banding still occurs. It disappears with ICE quality setting, but the time taken for scanning at this setting is prohibitive. I don't get the same banding with v**s*** or the bundled epson scanning software, so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. I'll keep experimenting.

LSI_Heidorn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Re: banding with Silverfast SE and Epson V700

Postby LSI_Heidorn » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:19 pm

Dear quixotic,
i have to agree that it is a hardware issue ( maybe just dirt / dust on the lens or calibration area, maybe a defective CCD element ).

That way ICE quality sees it a a veeery long scratch and removes it, but that is of course not a perfect solution.
If you still have warranty i would confront your dealer with this, if not, may try to CAREFULLY clean the calibration area and/or lens but be warned that this may damage your scanner or further decrease quality if done wrong !!!

Greetings,

Nils Heidorn

MSwanson
Visitor

Postby MSwanson » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:39 am

I've been experiencing the same issue with my new Epson Perfection V700 Photo. Specifically, I see the banding when I scan old black and white negatives that I place directly on the scanner glass. I'm using SilverFast v6.6.0r4c and the "Transparency" scanning option (not "full area"). Like quixotic, if I simply exit SilverFast and perform the same scan with Epson Scan, there is no sign of banding at all. At first, I thought it was a levels issue, but even with "wild" changes to levels, I cannot find any banding in the Epson Scan version. It is readily apparent in the SilverFast scan, though.

I've been diagnosing this issue for weeks now, and it only happens on the right side of the smaller scanning area (as you face the scanner). The banding, then, shows up on the left side of the SilverFast preview area. It is in the exact same place every time, and it's very consistent.

While I initially thought this was a hardware issue (30+ years writing software myself), I am becoming more and more convinced that it has something to do with the SilverFast software. Or perhaps the Epson Scan software does something to compensate for the banding we're seeing. None of these explanations "feel" right, but the issue is easily reproducible every single time.

Anyone else have any ideas?

LSI_Heidorn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Heidorn » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:14 am

Dear MSwanson,
this is quite strange...
If you say that you perform the same scan with Epson Scan, are you sure that you scan at the same resolution and colordepth ?!
Differences in that choice could influence the outcome...

best regards,

Nils Heidorn

maiaibing
SilverFast Beginner

Postby maiaibing » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:15 pm

I had a similar problem (difficult to say if it was exactly the same problem). I struck like lightning and was driving me crazy.

Looking at a Epson web forum I found a lot of info on how dirt/dust or something - even something very small - at the "top end" (away from the user) of the scanner could produce a long banding issue from one end to the other in the scans. The scanner apparently uses the very fist part to auto calibrate itself for the scanning- or something like that.

I found a tiny piece of tape and carefully cleaned the glass - and voila - no more banding! And it was really bad before.

If cleaning does not help, you may have a problem inside the scanner - maybe a dust speck on the calibrator (?). In this case the forum "wisdom" was to make one or two scans with the scanner on its side (! I cannot imagine how people think of this). Anyway it seemed to have helped several people on the forum. I did not have to try it myself - so I just pass it on for what its worth.

Hope this may help.

quixotic
Visitor

Postby quixotic » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:58 am

I forgot that I even posted this.

Anyways, I'm no longer using ICE (I read somewhere that it softens the image slightly, and I'm not averse to using the clone tool to get rid of marks), and I haven't had any banding since.

Return to “Epson”