"Embed ICC Profile" not changing

flatbed scanners for Epson

dreimiller
Visitor
Scanner: Epson Expression 11000XL
SilverFast Product: Ai Studio

"Embed ICC Profile" not changing

Postby dreimiller » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:07 pm

I have three student workers who take turns scanning sheet music from our library's collection. Each student logs in on the same computer which is connected to our Epson Expression 11000XL scanner using their own account credentials, so they each have their own settings for SilverFast. One of the students noticed that her scans were suddenly darker than the other two students and when she opened the scans up in Photoshop they colors didn't look correct. A comparison of the Preferences settings for each student showed that all three had the "Embed ICC Profile" box checked but two of the students had it set to embed the "Adobe RGB (1998) ICC Profile" in the CMS section while the student whose scans were off color was embedding the "SFprofR (Expression 10000XL) ICC Profile". What's strange is that all three students have the Internal setting in the CMS section set to "Adobe RGB (1998)" which I believe is what determines which ICC profile to embed. Changing the Internal setting for the student with off color scans to any other profile did not change the profile that is being embedded.

Why can't we change the ICC profile that is being embedded? And which profile is best to use, the Adobe RGB (1998) or the SFprofR (Expression 10000XL)?

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Re: "Embed ICC Profile" not changing

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:03 am

Dear customer,

Please make sure that the color management in the CMS is set correctly.
It should look like this:
Input -> Working Space: ColorSync(Mac/ICM(PC)
Working Space -> Monitor: ColorSync(Mac/ICM(PC)
Working Space -> Output: RGB

Also check if the output bit depth is maybe set to one of the 16/48/64 HDR(i) RAW formats.
These are unchanged archive formats for later processing in our SilverFast HDR (Studio) software.
These files also embed the scanner profile.

Kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

dreimiller
Visitor

Postby dreimiller » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:49 pm

Thanks for the reply. The output was set to 48 HDR(i) RAW. Changing that to 48-24 bit resolved the issue. Now that we have that resolved, what would be the impact on any scans performed with the 48 HDR(i) RAW output setting with no ICC profile embedded if they had been opened in Photoshop and edited there and then saved into PDF format using Acrobat. Should I have the student rescan anything that she did with the wrong setting?

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:01 pm

Dear customer,

You should probably re-scan the images.
If you ant to try processing them try using a very large color space like ProPhoto.
The data in the HDR scan is unprocessed scanner data which would use the scanner's profile and that is very large.

Kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

Jossie
SilverFast User
SilverFast User
Scanner: Reflecta DigitDia 6000
SilverFast Product: Archive Suite

Postby Jossie » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:29 am

Hi,

to just replace erroneous ICC-profiles it is not necessary to re-scan the images ! Unfortunately SF can only change the profile for one image at a time, from my point of view due a conceptual error and a bug in the job manager (see other post). But you can use EXIFtool / EXIFtool-GUI to first remove the old profiles and then in a second turn embed the new profile as follows:

In EXIFtool-GUI first select the images to be changed. Then enter in the "ExifTool direct" line:

Code: Select all

-icc_profile:all=

This will remove all embedded ICC-profiles. When this is done enter there

Code: Select all

-icc_profile<=my_profile.icc

which embeds the new profile "my_profile.icc" in all selected images. That will do the trick without re-scanning.

Hermann-Josef

dreimiller
Visitor

Postby dreimiller » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:06 pm

Thanks, Hermann-Josef!

Return to “Epson”