REcognition of Image Rotation Information Stored in JPEG

SilverFast DCPro (digital camera)

Tom Wheeler
SilverFast Beginner

REcognition of Image Rotation Information Stored in JPEG

Postby Tom Wheeler » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:24 pm

I have recently purchased a Canon EOS 10D digital SLR. This camera stores image orientation information in the JPEG files. The Canon software in the camera and Photoshop 7.0 (File Browser) both recognize this image orientation information and correclty display the image on screen. However, I was disapointed to see that Sivlerfast DC PRo (version 6.1.0r3) does not apparently recognize the oreinetation data in the file since images must still be manually rotated within the Silverfast software. Furthermore, it does not appear to be possible to rotate the images within the Overview. Until the image is moved to an Album it cannot be rotated. This makes working with images in DC Pro-VLT more difficult than in Photoshop 7.0's File Browser.

My qusestions are: (1) Am I not doing something correclty to have Silverfast display the images with the correct orientation; (2) If this capability has not yet been included in the Silverfast DC Pro software, are there any plans to do so?

Thank you in advance for a response.

Tom Wheeler
tnwheeler@nc.rr.com

LSI_Kratzenstein
SilverFast Professional
SilverFast Professional

Postby LSI_Kratzenstein » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:45 pm

The feature wish is in our list. I can't say when this will be ready, but it is in our plans.

kind regards

LSI_Flyvbjerg
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Flyvbjerg » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:26 am

Dear Mr. Wheeler.

We have just decided to implement the recognition of auto rotation right away.

Eric.

tnw2933

Recognition of Image Rotation Information Stored In JPEG

Postby tnw2933 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:21 pm

Eric,

Thanks for letting me know this. I look forward to seeing this in a future update of DC Pro.

Tom

LSI_Flyvbjerg
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Flyvbjerg » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:54 am

Dear all.

The auto rotation of images is implemented now and will be released in version 610t5 if it passes our testing.

Eric.

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:21 am

Eric,

Thanks for the update on auto image rotation. I will watch closely for the release of this update. Auto image rotation is a nice feature on the Canon EOS 10D, and I am gratified to see that Silverfast has been able to implement this feature in DCPro so rapidly. Thanks.

Tom

Tom Wheeler
SilverFast Beginner

Postby Tom Wheeler » Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:44 pm

Eric Flyvbjerg wrote:Dear all.

The auto rotation of images is implemented now and will be released in version 610t5 if it passes our testing.

Eric.

Eric,

I have been watching the update section of Silverfast ever since you posted the above e-mail, but I have still not seen version 6.10t5 posted as of today's date (October 16th). Do you have any idea when this might be posted? I am processing lots of Canon EOS 10D images in Siverfast and having the oreintation information generated by the EOS 10D recognized by Silverfast would certainly speed up my work flow.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Tom

LSI_Flyvbjerg
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Flyvbjerg » Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:05 am

Dear Tom.

Version 610t5 was frozen two days ago and testing began immediately. The auto rotation feature was already tested positiv. I would expect a release version of 610r5 coming up in the middle of next week.

Eric.

ilyons
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby ilyons » Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:39 pm

"t" versions are for internal testing and possibly some external - they don't get posted for everyone to download.
Ian Lyons
http://www.computer-darkroom.com

Tom Wheeler
SilverFast Beginner

Postby Tom Wheeler » Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:28 pm

Eric,

Thanks for letting me know the status of version 610r5 of DCPro. I will continue to watch for it and I look forward to downloading and using it.

Tom

ilyons
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby ilyons » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:33 pm

Eric Flyvbjerg wrote:Dear Tom.

Version 610t5 was frozen two days ago and testing began immediately. The auto rotation feature was already tested positiv. I would expect a release version of 610r5 coming up in the middle of next week.

Eric.

I downloaded the release version of r05 for mac OSX last night. On the version I have auto rotation is not functioning.

I also note some other issues:

1. The transition period between VLT window disappearing (conversion complete) and the SF preview window reappearaing is VERY long (unacceptably long).

2. When the SF preview windows eventually reappears the Special Function buttons are disabled.

I've gone back to r04
Ian Lyons

Tom Wheeler
SilverFast Beginner

Postby Tom Wheeler » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:08 pm

I just downloaded and installed the 610r5 version of Silverfast DC Pro for Windows, and it works beautifully. I notice that it even puts the file names in red of those images that have been automatically rotated in the Overview Window. These are 3-4 MB images and when I click on full screen preview, it opens in about 2 seconds. No complaints here on Windows about this version. Thanks very very much to the Sivlerfast team for including the recognition of image rotation information so quickly in Silverfast DC Pro. You guys do a terrific job with this software and I am pleased to continue to upgrade eery time a new version is released.

Tom Wheeler

ilyons
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby ilyons » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:51 pm

Tom Wheeler wrote:I just downloaded and installed the 610r5 version of Silverfast DC Pro for Windows, and it works beautifully. I notice that it even puts the file names in red of those images that have been automatically rotated in the Overview Window. These are 3-4 MB images and when I click on full screen preview, it opens in about 2 seconds. No complaints here on Windows about this version. Thanks very very much to the Sivlerfast team for including the recognition of image rotation information so quickly in Silverfast DC Pro. You guys do a terrific job with this software and I am pleased to continue to upgrade eery time a new version is released.

Tom Wheeler

Tom,

Sure I get vertical previews for all about 2 seconds and the damn things turn back to horizontal as DCPro reads the data. Every time VLT opens it regenerates the thumbnail previews.

From your description I get the impression you are referring to JPEG images or else the Mac version is screwed. DCPro was DESIGNED to help those of us using RAW images. I can tell you that R05 does not auto rotate RAW images on the Mac platform and until it does then it will languish in the also ran dept.

I have trashed preferences, etc (including those newly generated prefs that placed in the users Home folder).
Ian Lyons

Tom Wheeler
SilverFast Beginner

Postby Tom Wheeler » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:11 pm

Ian,

Yes, the images that I just finished examining in DC Pro were the highest quality (least compressed) JPEG's that my Canon EOS 10D can produced. I do have some raw Canon EOS10D images that I can test Silverfast DC Pro with and I'll do so and post the results. (These RAW images have been saved off to a data DVD and I'll have to locate them.) I am not seeing the behavior that you describe in VLT. Thus once my thumbnails were generated after installing DC Pro, they appear instantly (less than one second) after opening DC Pro. My vertically rotated images are also not returning to horizontal images. Again, I'll give a try when i get time with RAW image format, but at least with these Canon JPEG files, DC Pro on Windows is behaving exactly as expected.

Tom

Tom Wheeler
SilverFast Beginner

Postby Tom Wheeler » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:02 pm

I can now verify that the latest version of DCPro (610r5) does NOT rotate Canon EOS 10D RAW image format files. These RAW image files do appear in the Overview Window when a folder containing them is selected in the Navigator (which is more than I can say for Photoshop 7.0 where the RAW image files do not even appear in the File Browser view) but vertical RAW image files are not rotated. A full screen preview image takes about 7-10 seconds to appear on my screen (1.8 GHZ pentium 4 with 1 GB of RAM) which does not appear to be an excessive amount of time. I have no problems with vertical images, although not rotated, disappearing a few seconds after selecting them.

Tom Wheeler

Return to “DCPro (digital camera)”