What's happened to Job Manager in DC/VLT

All about DC-VLT / DCS / DCR and digital cameras (digital camera)

PTAMike
Visitor

What's happened to Job Manager in DC/VLT

Postby PTAMike » Sun May 15, 2005 7:31 pm

Just gone to use Job Manager in DC/VLT and it's not there anymore! I'm using release 6.4.1r8C - downloaded today. I haven't used Job Manager for a while so don't know when it vanished! Any ideas.

M

LSI_Noack
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Noack » Tue May 17, 2005 8:21 am

Dear PTAMike

thank you for your interest in LaserSoft Imaging's software products.

The JobManager was dropped from 6.4.0r6 on in favor of the capability to import RAW files, which was implemented then in the new DC-VLT which you are using now.

Kind regards
Sonny Noack
- technical support, LSI AG -

PTAMike
Visitor

Postby PTAMike » Tue May 17, 2005 8:44 am

Not impressed - don't expect features to be dropped - what happened to continuous improvement? Surely the ability to handle RAW files is just an essential development with the increasing popularilty of the Nikon and Canon consumer range. Without RAW the DC version would have no future.

Do you have any plans to re-instateJob Manager? If not this looks like the kiss of death for Silverfast DC for me. Shame, it was starting to develop into a good package.

LSI_Noack
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Noack » Tue May 17, 2005 8:55 am

Dear PTAMike

the JobManager is of course still available in the DCPro.
The reason behind this as was explained to me:
- greater clarification that the DC-VLT rather is targeted at the ambitious hobby photographer
- whereas the imaging professional need the productivity tool in order to cope with his larger amounts of images

I understand your complaint fully (dropped feature) and had already asked product management to think about at least having the JobManager be available as an individual upgrade.

Best regards
Sonny Noack
- tech support, LSI AG -

PTAMike
Visitor

Postby PTAMike » Tue May 17, 2005 9:10 am

Thanks for the explanation, but it still means I have to pay $259 to recover a feaure that I've already paid for - doesn't sound right somehow. I didn't use Job Manager very often, but it was useful when I did photo work for the school and needed to do batch corrections.

I can't see why I would risk upgrading to DCPro as you might decide sometime in the future that some other key feature should be removed!

Sounds like a money making scheme to me and you've certainly just lost one customer.

Mike

LSI_Noack
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Noack » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:52 am

Dear Mike

they will be an upgrade to the DC-VLT available soon which will re-enable the JobManager.

Those who already enjoyed this feature when they bought DC-VLT will get that upgrade for free. 8) And they still keep the RAW import capability as a free extra!
I think this sounds better now, doesn't it?

Please contact our sales staff for an appropriate serial number when the upgrade will be available (scheduled for release: June 2005).

Finest regards
Sonny Noack
- tech support, LSI AG -

Return to “DC-VLT / DCS / PhotoCD (digital camera)”