VLT Questions

All about DC-VLT / DCS / DCR and digital cameras (digital camera)

Nikon_Boy
Visitor

VLT Questions

Postby Nikon_Boy » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:16 pm

VLT cannot read my 16 bit TIFF files. These are files I convert via Nikon CaptureNX raw files. I do a save as TIFF, no compression, 16 bit files. I can read these in other programs like Photoshop, Elements, and ACDSee. VLT does read my 24 bit TIFF files. If I open the 16 bit TIFF and save it as an 8 bit TIFF, VLT can then display it. I am testing the demo version so I wonder if this is a limitation in the demo version or a known issue?

When I open a NEF file VLT says it is converting. Similarly, in the manual I downloaded it talks about converting and how you can apply different settings for the conversion. However, it does not say what it is being converted to. Are these "changes" being applied to the image and that is what is being converted, is it saving the changes in another database, what...?

When I point VLT at a directory with NEF (Nikon Raw) files, some of which have been modified in Nikon CaptureNX, I can see the changes in the displayed files. Fine. I doubleclick on a modified image, it asks me about a profile and I say none (or something to the same effect), the file opens with a popup window saying it is being converted (but not to what). It then displays the enlarged image without the modifications I made in Nikon CaptureNX. I close it and the image now does not show the modifications on the light table. I re-open it in Nikon CaptureNX and the changes are still there. What is happening in VLT? AND, why do I have to ask this here, why isn't it spelled out in the information I downloaded?
Charlie

LSI_Noack
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Noack » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:52 am

Dear Nikon_Boy

indeed the DCVLT won't import 48 bits of colour depth TIFF files.
See a Detailed Feature Comparison of all SF-Versions
linked on the Feature Comparion webpage.

Best regards
Sonny Noack
- Manager Technical Support, LaserSoft Imaging AG -

Return to “DC-VLT / DCS / PhotoCD (digital camera)”