Soft/Unsharp Silverf

flatbed scanners for Canon

davidl3541
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Soft/Unsharp Silverf

Postby davidl3541 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:00 pm

Hello;

In comparing the latest Canon 9950F Scangear Software to Silverfast for Positive Transparencies I find quite a noticeable difference in the sharpness of the scans. With Silverfast much softer then the Scangear scans.

I am using 48bit color at 2400 DPI. I am also using the single frame 6X6cm film holder. I have tried "More Sharpen" as well as various degrees of USM. Out of four tries each of the Scangear scans are much sharper. I am using the stand-alone Silverfast because the Photoshop CS3 plugin does not work in Windows XP. The Canon Scangear works just find from within Photoshop. I use the IT-8 calibration and use the calibration profile in Scangear as well as Silverfast. Colors and exposure are good in both Scangear and Silverfast.

If you just used Silverfast without a comparison you would probably assume that the transparency is just a little soft to start--but it is not. After comparing to Scangear I used an 8X lupe to check the film and it is pretty sharp.

I also tried tried to change the height of the film on the scanner glass ranging from on the glass to 1/2mm higher then the film holder. The changes in height resulted in softer scans with both Scangear and Silverfast. My conclusion is that the film holder places the film at the proper height in the standard configuration.

I am using the quality and USM settings in Scangear which are fixed settings. Film is Kodak E100GX 120 Ektachrome Professional Color Slide (Transparency) Film (ISO-100) fresh dated.

Any ideas as to why this is happing?

Best regards,
DavidL

davidl3541
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Ref: Soft/Unsharp Si

Postby davidl3541 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:08 am

Hello,

Please disregard my previous post concerning soft focus. My Canon Scangear drivers were corrupted. I had to remove and reinstall them. Apparently they interfered with Silverfast. I reinstalled the Canon drivers and Silverfast is producing sharp images now.

I submitted a trouble ticket to get that problem corrected, please delete that ticket.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

DavidL

Return to “Canon”