Problem with silverfast / 8800F (Mac)

flatbed scanners for Canon

Galore
Visitor

Problem with silverfast / 8800F (Mac)

Postby Galore » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:06 pm

Dear LaserSoft,

I have huge problems using silverfast + cannon 8800F.

Silverfast and my scanner freezes after a few scans. Sometimes even the first scan. When i hit the scan/prescan button the dialog "RGB preparing scan..." freezes the scanner and silverfast. I have to force quit to continue, but relaunching silverfast does not help.

This is pretty frustrating since i can not use my scanner.

Setup:
Mac OSX 10.5.1
SiverFast SE 6.5.5r4
Canon ScanGear Version 13.9.0

Reinstalled, restarted, tried everyting...

Please help????????

/ Galore

CSuser
Visitor

Postby CSuser » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:00 am

Dear Lasersoft + Galore,

I have quite the same crashes using silverfast + canon 8800f, runing on PC (WinXP).
However, I noticed that I especially have problems when scaning negatives, using the "transparency" mode. Trying such a thing always lead to freeze the scanner and the software (thus, I have to restart the scan and sometimes my PC to be able to use it again). But the "Opaque" mode, for photographs for exemple, seems to be ok.
I tried to uninstall and reinstall the soft, to modify diverse settings, without anymore positive results.
The only way for me to scan negs is to use directly the Canon Scangear software, launched by MP Navigator EX. By this way, I get correct results.
But I feel frustrated too, as SilverFast seems to propose more and finest settings for negs than Scangear does... And it is a pitty (or a shame ?) that Canon include the Silverfast software with such an apparent imcompatibility problem.
Is there any software update envisaged to check it ?

Thanks for anymore informations,
Best regards.

adiwa
Visitor

Postby adiwa » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:52 pm

Dear guys

(Silverfast SE, Win XP pro)

Welcome to the club. With me, it's absolutely the same thing. I can do B/W negativescans in max 1200dpi/HDR transparency mode. If I try 2400dpi and more the whole thing freezes as you decribed.

I don't know how and why, but a few weeks ago I was able to do about 10 B/W negative transparencyscans in HDR/9600dpi. The result was absolutely great in greyscaledrawing. Suddenly the known problems started and are still persisting.

So I have a new stylish and technically good scanner at home, which is not usable for me qualitywise. In point of view picturequality scangeardriver from Canon is for nothing........

We do hope on Silverfast to solve this problem.

LSI_Muenier
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Muenier » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:23 am

Dear adiwa,

sorry for the problem to occur.

When you write that a few weeks ago you could scan well,
do you have any idea what changed on your system?
Which version of SilverFast did you use then?
Which version now?

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards
Martin

adiwa
Visitor

Postby adiwa » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:54 pm

Dear Martin

Thanks for answering.
No, I'm very sorry, but i haven't a clue why, after big problems starting the whole thing, it suddenly did about 10 scans (9600/HDR/B/W-transparency; Tiff 250MB) with these nice results.
I used then version 6.5.5.r2. Afterwards we went through the whole (standard) supportprocess (Ticket 200 711 100 240 70).

I did then all updatings from your homepage and used then 6.5.5.r3 but without success (same behavior).

My idea at the moment is to wait some months and perhaps with a newer version suddenly the problem will be solved. My silvernegatives have to wait till then to be digitalised.

Kind regards
Adrian

LSI_Muenier
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Muenier » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:53 pm

Dear Adrian,

I made HDR scans of roughly 5 x 5 cm at 4800 dpi
but could not find any problem on my XP.

Please reset SilverFast to default settings or provide me your settings,
maybe by screen shot in a private mail.

Best regards
Martin

adiwa
Visitor

Postby adiwa » Fri May 09, 2008 10:20 am

"Funny" behavior of my silverfast with Canoscan 8800F

I'm a step further thanks Martin - I tried again and found the following behavior, when scanning B/W negatives:

The negatives in the lefthand side of the plasticframe (right on computerscreen) are scannable with 9600 dpi, 16bit/HDR.

The negatives in the righthand side of the plasticframe (left on Computerscreen) are only scannable with 1200 dpi, 16bit/HDR.

When I increase the dpi to 2400 or more, the silverfastprogram and the Canoscan 8800F locks. I have to plug out the scanner, the button is bliking but no more active and I have to restart the computer.

adiwa

LSI_Muenier
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Muenier » Fri May 09, 2008 11:49 am

Dear All,

is there anybody else out there than can reproduce this strange behaviour that adiwa just described
with his or her Canon 8800F ? (preferably on Win XP, but maybe also OSX?)

Best regards
Martin

kitfrog
Visitor

Postby kitfrog » Fri May 30, 2008 2:24 am

Yup, I'm also having this issue. My system: 8800F, Silverfast 6.5.5r3 (and earlier versions), Windows XP SP2.

Everytime I try to scan a negative it immediately crashes and hangs the scanner. The only way I can get the scanner to wake up again is to turn it's power off then on again. This happens 100% of the time.

Have emailed your support multiple times and have been told that a new canon driver or silverfast version fixes the issue. But I can't find anything on the canon website that indicates any version of their software other than 13.0.0 which is what ships with the 8800F.

If there is any fix to this I'd love to know...

rlphckstn
Visitor

Postby rlphckstn » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:45 pm

exactly the same as kitfrog (same configuration and problems).

kitfrog
Visitor

Postby kitfrog » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:31 am

If there is anyone from Silverfast reading this, can you please let us know where we can find the latest Canon "low-level driver" referred to in the release notes for v6.5.5r2. It seems as if we need this driver to make Silverfast functional with the 8800F, but I cannot find a mention of it anywhere on Canon's website. Is it the version included with the ScanGear 13.0.0 driver package from Canon?

I've tried everything, including completely wiping the PC and reinstalling the latest Canon driver from their website and the latest Silverfast SE and it still hangs when scanning in transparency mode...

LSI_Muenier
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Muenier » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:14 pm

Dear All,

I have tested this myself with my XP, and installed the Canon ScanGear from Canon Web site.
Strangely, I could not reproduce the user's problem, while he saw it on more than one machine.

Maybe all of you who observe the hanging in transparency mode could do me a favor and post here the scanner's unit number (serial number) found printed on the scanner, and the system (XP etc.) you are using with the scanner.
I can then ask Canon about the problem again, this time with information about the scanners and the system.

If you observe this problem, do you also see the strange behaviour adiwa is describing: scanning work on one side of the film strip holder, but not on the other side ...?
Do you need choose a special mode (48 Bit HDR ?) to make the problem happen, or does it equally appear with 48->24 etc. ?

Best regards
Martin

rlphckstn
Visitor

Postby rlphckstn » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:44 pm

Hi,
i can provide you the following information:
Windows XP, SP2
Scanner SN: AAUC34299
Problem occurs on 48-24 (not tested anything else)
How the problem occured:
- first couple of scans run without problem
- after a while problems on one side (left side)
- using only right side worked once or twice
- now nothing works

Using currently scangear (latest version downloaded from canon). Works without problems.

LSI_Muenier
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Muenier » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:40 am

Dear rlphckstn,

at what resolution do you scan?

adiwa has observed problems above 1200 dpi, but could successfully scan up to 1200 dpi (with scaling set to 100%).
Is it the same at your place, or does resolution not matter?

Best regards,
Martin

rlphckstn
Visitor

Postby rlphckstn » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:44 pm

As soon im back at home i will try to reproduce that and post response

Return to “Canon”