Problem with silverfast / 8800F (Mac)

flatbed scanners for Canon

rlphckstn
Visitor

Postby rlphckstn » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:50 pm

OK. May be the way i describe is only one of the ways to reproduce the problem, but after following actions it hanged again:
- set scan resolution to 1.200 (sanned two pictures without problem )
- set scan resolution to 4.800 (worked in batch mode)
- interupted batch scanning after couple of pictures
- set scan resolution to 2.400
- start preview
- preview is ok
- start scanning
- silverfast hangs

the light on On/off button is blinking and scanner has to be switched of by the power supply.

After i started scan gear (without reboot). Scan gear tells me twain error. after waiting a while (about a minute) scan ggear can be started without problems.
I hope this will help you somehow.

ginboy
Visitor

Re: Problem with silverfast / 8800F (Mac)

Postby ginboy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:38 pm

I am also experiencing problems with the Cannon 8800F and SilverFast.

After successfully scanning nearly two hundred 35mm negatives I now find that SilverFast hangs when trying to scan transparencies in 48->24bit colour mode at resolutions greater than 1200 dpi. All software functions work fine, including preview, until I press the scan button. You hear the scanner motors getting the scanner ready (maybe there is a calibration?) and then nothing. The software hangs and I have to reboot the PC and the scanner as it locks out the driver.

Scanning a Reflective at the same resolution works fine every time. Also a negative on 48-bit HDR works ok. I am of the opinion that this is a hardware fault as my setup has been working for about a week. I want to test this on another machine to try and confirm this.

Details:

Cannon 8800F - Serial No AAUB03778

Platform : PC
Plugin : PhotoShop
Host : 0x53464170 (SF_Launcher)
Host Serial : 614686

Path : C:\Program Files\SilverFast Application\SilverFast CanonSDK-SE\SilverFast (CanonSDK-SE).8ba

Permissions : <SilverFast (CanonSDK-SE).8ba>: unlocked
Permissions : <SilverFast CanonSDK-SE>: unlocked
Permissions : <SilverFast Application>: unlocked
Permissions : <Program Files>: LOCKED
Permissions : <C:>: unlocked

Version : SilverFast CANON-SE v6.5.5r2

System : Microsoft Windows XP (Version 5.1, Service Pack 2, Build 2600)
Memory : 1024 MB RAM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Processor Information:
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+, 2091MHz

Memory Information
Physical Installed: 1023MB
Physical Available: 572MB
Virtual Total: 2047MB
Virtual Available: 2033MB

Disk Information:
Drive Letter: C:\ fixed 74653MB total, 7996MB available
Drive Letter: D:\ cdrom
Drive Letter: F:\ cdrom

Maniaxx
Visitor

Postby Maniaxx » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:29 pm

I have that bug when scanning in 'film/dia' mode and the cover is open. Seems like the scanner tries to calibrates the LED lightning with the CCD unit. Maybe if this fails the device locks up. Looks like there's an area in the 'film guides' that is marked as 'do not cover' on top of them. If i cover it even with closed cover the error appeared. I have to restart windows afterwards.

I haven't scanned any film material yet. Just functionality tests. I bought it just some days ago.

Windows XP SP3

wanags
Visitor

Postby wanags » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:41 pm

The same problem

Win XP sp3
Silverfast SE 6.5.5.r2

Greyscale scanning no problem at any resolution
color hangs up over 2400

tested on two computers. however scanner works in all resolutions with v**s**n or different software. looks like silverfast s...s ;)

LSI_Luebker
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Luebker » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:23 pm

Dear wanags,

strange SilverFast should not hang could you please update to SilverFast 6.6.0r2(for free!) and delete the preferences I am pretty sure that it will work afterwards.

best regards,

Thomas Lübker,
LaserSoft Imaging
best regards,

Thomas Luebker,
LaserSoft Imaging AG

jacobi
Visitor

Postby jacobi » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:21 pm

Hi!

I experience systematic hangs when scanning properties sett to transparent images.
I did some "googling" and found this forum. The symptoms seems a lot like mine therefore I decided to add a comment here.

I run the latest version as of today under windows XP SP3. v6.6.0r4e
I have experienced the exact same symptoms under some previous version under XP SP2

Scanning transparent family photos was actually the no1 reason why I bought the device, but yet I have note managed to scan one single memory.

Would be really nice if someone came up with a solution or at least give us some input so that we who experience the problems may help the developers to darrow down the issue.

regards
Johannes

LSI_Heidorn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Heidorn » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:51 am

Dear Johannes,
did you try the latest 660r4e version from our website or are you having those problems with CanoScan ?

best regards,

Nils Heidorn

jacobi
Visitor

Postby jacobi » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:21 pm

Hi,
-Yes, I am using 6.6.0r4e. (Using the standalone version, NOT the Twain-version)
-I downloaded it from your website yesterday and installed it using my own serialnumber, confirmed installation by inserting my own cd.
-Bundeled with my scanner there was also Arcsoft Photostudio 5.5. This sw manages to scan transparent images just fine using my 8800F.
-CanoScan I have not tried I think. Not for transparent images at least.

Is there any way of debugging Silverfast, some logging perhaps?

regards
Johannes

LSI_Heidorn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Heidorn » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:49 pm

Dear Johannes,
oor aim would be to reproduce the situation / problem here to see what happens when our debugger is active.
If this is not possible we may come to send you a special logging version...

Until then it would be helpful if you do the test with CanoScan to see if THAT works.

best regards,

Nils Heidorn

perroemm
Visitor

Postby perroemm » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:57 pm

Hi!
After scanning 120 mm negatives faced problems with my Silverfast. In the beggining image colours was crippled; afterwards couldnt even launch the programm, after pressing "start" button only scanpilot and picture setting windows appeared on the screen. Reinstalled the programm, but nothing changes. Where could be a problem? Thanks in advance'!

Rooster
Visitor

Postby Rooster » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:08 pm

I too have some serious issues with the software.

Doesn't seem to matter if I use the standalone app or the plug-in (6.6.0r4e). If I turn on multi-scan (doesn't matter how many passes) and use iSRD and/or any of the other options (aaco, etc) the software takes forever to complete a scan. By forever I mean it will run through the scanning process. It will perform all the passes it needs for scanning, then it will run the iSRD infrared pass and then it starts to "think". 3-4 HOURS, yes HOURS! later the file finally pops open in photoshop or finishes saving to the desktop.

This occurs even when scanning a 35mm at 300 dpi @ 100% (<500k file size)

I've also had the software lock up a few times at the pre-scan phase as mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Also is it me or the way the software works. I have zero ability to make any pre-scan adjustments to a scan in HDR mode. Does this require the HDR module or something that isn't included in the demo?

I'm sure glad this is happening with the demo. I'd be a might ticked off I had shelled out cash to find this out.

Intel mac Quadcore 3 Ghz, 2GB ram, 1TB+ freespace on Raid 0 scratch disk.

Of course if I turn all the options off and scan to 24 bit it seems to work just fine. But then again so does the standard canon software, and it's free (if a tad featureless).

LSI_Heidorn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Heidorn » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:07 am

Dear Rooster,
if your iSRD Scan from a 500k image takes 3 to 4 hours on your quite-fast-mac then there really is something off the tracks :-)
Please post thi to our online bug report form at www.silverfast.com ( support assistant will guide you ).
The same goes for lock-ups.

As for your greif with HDR scans--> thats actually meant to work this way !!

If you choose HDR you are telling the software to work in a kind of archival mode thus not changing the image from the original bitstream.
So all ways to correct the image on a pixel value basis are disabled ( except iSRD as this can not be done afterwards ).

If you want 48/16 Bit output but you DO want to change the image, please select 48 Bit Color.
This gives you more precision & dynamic range then the 48->24 Bit Color mode but allows for image adjustments.

best regards,

Nils Heidorn

marnicq
Visitor
Scanner: Canoscan 8800F
SilverFast Product: SE
SilverFast Version: 6.5

Postby marnicq » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:50 pm

I'm having pretty much the same problems as some posted above.
I've just bought my Canoscan 8800F today, installed all.
Prescan works with the 'Reflective' function and the scan works too with that function.
Yet when I try to use the Prescan with the 'Transparency' function (which I'll be needing most of the time) it says 'Prepare scan ...' (scanner makes some typical scanner sounds for like 2 seconds)
Then freezes and stops doing anything ...
I'm using Windows XP sp2, Canoscan 8800F, and the updated version of Silverfast SE ( v6.6.1r1c )
Could someone please help me?

+ I tried to contact LSI through the webmail after going through the problem shooting stuff, but it didn't want to accept my e-mail (it kept saying I had to fill it in, while it was filled in) and a direct e-mail to the 'support' resulted in an auto - e-mail telling me I should use the webmail ..

So I hope someone of LSI can help me here.
Thanks,
Grts Marnicq.

LSI_Heidorn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Heidorn » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:24 pm

Dear Marnicq,
i do not want to offend you, but your problem sounds like something i sometimes do ->
I forget to remove the white cover before scanning transparencies and so the scanner stalls trying to calibrate its lamp.
That would be an easy solution, did you check that ?

best regards,

Nils Heidorn

Return to “Canon”