Multi-exposure for Canon 9950F Updates

flatbed scanners for Canon

davidl3541
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Multi-exposure for Canon 9950F Updates

Postby davidl3541 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:14 am

Have you reviewed this scanner for adding multi-exposure? When do you think you will know if it will have this capability?

Best regards,

DavidL :D

LSI_Heidorn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Heidorn » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:48 pm

Dear David,
we are having a lot of similar requests for dozens of scanners and we will also look into the possibility of adding MEX as a feature for Canon scanners.

Without saying too much i'd say it looks promising on the Canon side, but we will need some time for R & D !

Greetings,

Nils Heidorn, R & D, LaserSoft Imaging AG

davidl3541
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Canon 9950f and MEX

Postby davidl3541 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:57 pm

Thank you for the update.

Best regards,

DavidL

LSI_Heidorn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Heidorn » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:43 am

Dear David,
check the upcoming 650r4 update and i guess you'd be happy, the MEX effect on the 9950 and generally on all MEX supported Canon Scanners is amazing in the dark tones :-)

I learned that the original Software darkens the noisy areas and also applies a destructive denoising to the dark areas !

With SilverFast MEX this should look much better...

In the start we support some of the newer Canons, the F9950 amongst them !

Greetings,

Nils Heidorn, LSI Development

LSI_Heidorn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Heidorn » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:53 am

v650r4 is online and supports MEX for the 9950 !

Greetings,

davidl3541
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

No Multi-Exposure in Canon 9950F SF 6.5.0r4

Postby davidl3541 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:53 pm

Hello,

I downloaded and installed the update; however, there is No change from the previous version, in fact there is Very little change since the last update of 6.4. I still have only the Multiscan button. The Negafix files for Kodak UC 100 and the new Fuji profile are Not included. What is happening here?

Best regards,

DavidL

LSI_Heidorn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Heidorn » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:46 pm

Dear David,

when searching for Multi-Exposure: Did you set the scan mode to scan 48 Bit Color or 48 Bit HDR ? MEX only works with the 16 Bit per channel modes !
If you do so, a "SUN" icon should appear below the MultiScan icon.
Of course all this only works with 650r4 !

Greetings,

davidl3541
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Multiexposure on Can

Postby davidl3541 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:20 pm

Hello Nils,

Multi-Exposure works in Demo mode but not with the serial number Silverfast sent me after I purchased the upgrade to 6.5.0r4. So you need to provide me with a valid serial number that unlocks all the new features I purchased.

Best regards,

DavidL

LSI_Heidorn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Heidorn » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:23 pm

Dear David,
do you own a Studio Version ?
MEX is a Studio Feature.
If so, there's something wrong with your serialnumber, please contact us via support form.
If you do not have a Studio Version, then thats the reason why MEX disappears as soon as you enter your serial.
In demo mode ( as the dialog says when you startup ) you get all features, later you decide which version to buy...

Greetings,

davidl3541
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Silverfast AI Studio

Postby davidl3541 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:34 pm

Hello Nils,

Yes I have the AI Studio Version with IT-8 for the Canon 9950F. I sent a support request for a valid serial number.

Best regards,

DavidL

LSI_Heidorn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Re: Silverfast AI St

Postby LSI_Heidorn » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:35 pm

Hello David,
yes, that should work out :-)

Greetings,

davidl3541
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Canon 9950F Multi-Exposure

Postby davidl3541 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Hello,

Well I finally got the corrected serial number for my AI Studio IT-8.

I tried 48 bit scanning on Ektachrome G Positive transparancy film. 2X multiexposure looked pretty good but I noticed a double image line on a white fence with a dark background.

A second try using 4X multiexposure showed 3 double exposure lines. Again only noticed on the white fence.

I tried another scan, this time using Kodak UC 100 and 2X multipexposure on a color negative. I could not detect any doubling or shadowing in the color negative scan. I did another regular scan. Both scans also used AACO. The amount of shadow detail in the 2X multiexposure scan is amazing. To me, this scan certainly justifies having the ME capability. I also thought that the multiexposure scan looked sharper.

I think that the scanner needs to be warmed up and the film settled in the scanner environment before attempting multiexposure. Until I run some more tests, that will be my reasoning for the difference between the first positive film scans and the later negative film scans. The negs were in the scanner for about 20 minutes (I took a lunch break).

Regarding Negafix: Why can't I see the two new negafix profiles on my 6.5.0r4 update? I have looked through every option in the Negafix profile list but they are not there.

Best regards,

Davidl

LSI_Heidorn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Postby LSI_Heidorn » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:45 am

Dear David,
i'm happy to hear that MEX finally works for you !

--> About the double/triple lines:
Did you try the same film again after the scanner warmed up ?!

If the problem persists, may try these two things:

-1- fix the film(holder) using a bit of scotch tape or similar, sometimes the scanner moves quite harsh before rescanning...

-2- if the motive is very unsharp or the resolution is very high, it is much harder to stitch the 2 or 4 images together, may give it a try at a lower resolution...

As for the missing negative profiles: could you enter this ( if you haven't already done so ) in the online support system, this shouldn't be something hard to find or to analyze, i suspect the resources have not been copied to your installer package...

Greetings,

davidl3541
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Canon 9950F Multi-Exposure

Postby davidl3541 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:45 pm

Hello Nils,

I have not tried rescanning the Ektachrome film yet ( medium format). But I will. I must have incorrectly positioned the film holder because there was such a big difference between the Ektachromes and the UC100 negatives.

I noticed that when I am scanning using 2X ME the scan message states Multiscan. Is that just an oversight?

Oh, I did submit a support request for the two missing Negafix profiles.

CCR does seem to do a good job of clearing the C41 orange mask; but I need to run a test using my Gretag Macbeth color checker for color fidelity.

Best regards,

DavidL

davidl3541
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Followup on Canon 9950F Multi Exposure

Postby davidl3541 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:29 am

Hello Nils,

I thought you would like to read a success story with ME. I did a rescan on the medium format Ekachrome scan mentioned in a previous post. I redid the scan at the same resolution (2400dpi). Here is the workflow I used:

I placed two bean bags (lead shot), Six pounds total weight on top of the lid and did two quick regular low res scans to warm up the scanner. I then did the 2400dpi 48bit scan using 2X ME. The results are really good. there is no mis-registration that I can detect and the shadows were very good without any artifacts. The extra weight kept the film holder in place and everything went smoothly. The bean bags did not appear to hurt the scanner and since I have them I will just incorporate them into my regular workflow.

Best regards,

DavidL

Return to “Canon”