iSRD feature with 8400f

flatbed scanners for Canon

Turock
Visitor

iSRD feature with 8400f

Postby Turock » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:50 am

When i got Lasersofts newsletter yesterday, i couldn't believe it - infrared channel for Canon Scanners is now accessible for Silverfast users, even SE Plus users! So I had to keep one's fingers crossed that it will work on my "old" 8400f, too, cause I awaited this feature since my scanner was a new one ;-)
Well, I'm very very lucky that it works. Thanks guys!

So here's a small test conclusion and a few questions: With slides the new feature works well. With lower resolution it worked a bit better than with finer resolution. In latter case dust was not mapped out completely (despite of the fact, that the dust was marked red in iSRDs preview). Maybe I didn't use right settings?

Does the iSRD feature it's job with color negatives, too? I did some tests, the dust in the infrared channel was visible. But the dust mapping preview was completly red. Also the preview scan in the iSRD window was overexposed in contrast to the main preview window, where the scan seemed to be exposed normaly.

Has something been updated with the lamp warm up phase sinse v6.5? It seems to take a bit more time, especialy within preview scans.

regards,
turock

LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Re: iSRD feature with 8400f

Postby LSI_Morales » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:37 am

Dear Turock,

Thank you very much for your comments and your test report.

There are certain parameters which can be adjusted withing iSRD but those are only available in SilverFast Ai Studio. Since those parameters are not available in the small version of SilverFast, we had to do a compromise between correction and generation of artifacts that will allow you to obtain a reasonable correction without compromising quality in your picture by generating artifacts, that would have been more difficult to correct in postproduction.

Bear in mind that this is the first version of the infrared correction feature for the canon scanners, probably there is room for improvements which can take many resources and time. SilverFast Ai will some more options with its professional modes active and combining iSRD with SRD in different masks which allow you to make a better correction of every picture, you can download and try the demo version of Ai studio to see if you obtain better results.

I am not aware of any changes with the warming up time, it is in fact done by the canon driver itself, we will take a look at that but we can not promisse any differences now.

Greetings
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing

Return to “Canon”