Canon 9900F and dust removal

flatbed scanners for Canon

tunison
Visitor

Canon 9900F and dust removal

Postby tunison » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:37 am

Is there a way to automatically remove dust and scratches while batch scanning 35mm slides with SilverFast AI Studio or SEPlus? As far as I can tell, I need to preview each slide and manually work with the SRD parameters before initiating a scan.

None of the previous postings in this forum about getting Canon to work with SilverFast on FARE support have gone anywhere, so I guess that is never, ever going to happen. Which is a terrible shame. SilverFast folks, is Canon asking for licensing fees from you? Or simply not revealing the API to you? I'd like to know their motivation before writing them a long letter.

I have a demo SFAiStudio version right now, and it does not seem to do ANY dust removal when I simply enable SRD for a slide. (In fact, I cannot get it to do dust removal AT ALL when working in the SRD parameters dialog. I preview, then press Auto button. Have watched the (excellent) Quicktime movie. Nothing I do will show any defects in red. So perhaps this is a general problem/bug and if that is resolved then SRD WILL work without tweaking for the average dusty slide??????)

I wanted to buy a copy of SilverFast and then use JobManager (with SFAiStudio) or batch scanning (with SEPlus) and to not have to remove dust manually from each scan field!!!!

After spending 2 solid days trying software from Canon, v**s**n and SF, I'm SICK at heart to find that Canon's support for their FARE allows for great and EASY dust and scratch removal, but their color rendering is terrible... while it appears that SF is (as advertised) awesome at color choices but the lack of FARE support means that automated dust removal is lacking.

This is a big problem for me, as I want to scan in hundreds of the family's 30-40 year old slides, and I have been unable to get rid of mold spots on many slides and dust on all of them. (Film cleaner solution does not seem to work at all on the mold/dirt spots -- maybe I need to rub harder???) CanoScan gets rid of an impressive amount of dust and dirt and scratches.

Lack of automated dust removal will prevent me from being able to buy SilverFast. I pray that I am simply missing something obvious and SRD really will work.

Mac OS X 10.4.5
SilverFast AI Studio 6.4.3r8
Canon 9900F

tunison
Visitor

Re: Canon 9900F and dust removal - v**s**n can do it!

Postby tunison » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:05 pm

Well, here's a good question about SilverFast's support of Canon's FARE:

The new $50 v**s**n (e.g. version 8.3.30) can tap into the infrared channel of my Canon 9900F and reduce dust and scratches. It appears to also be able to work with the color fading and grain features...

Is v**s**n's author getting special access to Canon proprietary info, or has he just been able to figure out how to work with FARE data in software? If it is the latter, I'd really rather spend $178 for SilverFast AI Studio if LaserSoft Imaging could do the same!!!!

Both v**s**n and SilverFast produce better color output than CanoScan. :(
SF's features are better for workflow.

Return to “Canon”