What has happened to Lasersoft?

General topics about SilverFast

Moderator: LSI_Moeller

cew3jsm
SilverFast Beginner

What has happened to Lasersoft?

Postby cew3jsm » Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:25 am

Hi,
I must admit that I have become rather disillusioned with Lasersoft as a software company. I used to use an Epson Expression 1600 to scan 6x6 transparencies. Silverfast made such an improvement with that scanner that when I bought a Polaroid SS120 scanner, I gladly shelled out the extra $400 for Silverfast. At that time (several years ago), I didn't mind the extra expense because Silverfast was clearly superior to Polaroid Insight. I even willingly paid for the version 6 upgrade. But now, I'm not certain I even want to think about another Silverfast product.

The last several versions of SF 6 for the Polaroid have been worse than simply disappointing. Calibration problems, strange banding, frame misalignments and now the newest failure - inability to focus.

With SF 6.0.2R41 my scanner won't focus. The preview scan looks fine and the sharpening preview looks good also. But the final scan is completely out of focus. I can't even see the film grain in a 400 ISO negative film! I couldn?t get the focus problem fixed until I unloaded all scanner software, including the scan driver and then reinstalling Polaroid Insight and the SF6.0.2.39. After that, all was fine with focus. I then uninstalled SF 6.0.2r39 and installed 6.0.2r41 and the problem returned. This causes me to believe the problem is at least partially caused by 6.0.2r41.

I don't want this post to sound like I'm diss'ing Lasersoft, but there have been so many problems with the Polaroid versions of SF6.0.xRx that it's difficult not to be frustrated.

Lasersoft, please tell me that you recognize the quality assurance problem that apparently exists with SF and that you are fixing it. I used to highly recommend Silverfast to my friends and acquaintances, but as it stands, I can no longer do so. Don't let your previous success be your undoing.
Respectfully,
Clay

LSI_Ingraham
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Re: What has happened to Lasersoft?

Postby LSI_Ingraham » Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:47 pm

cew3jsm wrote:The last several versions of SF 6 for the Polaroid have been worse than simply disappointing. Calibration problems, strange banding, frame misalignments and now the newest failure - inability to focus.

With SF 6.0.2R41 my scanner won't focus. The preview scan looks fine and the sharpening preview looks good also. But the final scan is completely out of focus. I can't even see the film grain in a 400 ISO negative film! I couldn?t get the focus problem fixed until I unloaded all scanner software, including the scan driver and then reinstalling Polaroid Insight and the SF6.0.2.39. After that, all was fine with focus. I then uninstalled SF 6.0.2r39 and installed 6.0.2r41 and the problem returned. This causes me to believe the problem is at least partially caused by 6.0.2r41.

Dear Clay,

I am working with the quality team to troubleshoot the issues you observed with the focusing. From the e-mail, it sounds like you are experiencing other problems as well:

Calibration: Are the problems with IT8 color calibration or negafix?
Strange Banding: Can you provide me with details on the banding?
Frame Misalignments: Is this occurring with every frame holder?

Have you spoken with anyone at Lasersoft about these issues?
Can you provide me with sample images exhibiting the problem?

If possible, please e-mail me details with regards to your operating system and system configuration

We will try to resolve these issues as quickly as possible.

Best regards,

John Ingraham
Project Development Mgr.
john.ingraham@silverfast.com

Return to “About SilverFast”