General topics about SilverFast

Moderator: LSI_Moeller

wbabbott3
Visitor
Scanner: Epson 4870, Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED
SilverFast Product: Ai

Must repetitively Unlock SF

Postby wbabbott3 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:15 am

Every time I open SF with PS 4, SF asks me to unlock it with my serial number, which is already displayed in the dialog box.
I've tried deleting prefs and went so far as to uninstall SF and reinstall the latest version. Nothing works. What do I need to do?
2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro, 10.6.2, 12 GB RAM
Thanks,

Bill

LSI_Luebker
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Re: Must repetitively Unlock SF

Postby LSI_Luebker » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:02 pm

Dear Bill,

The most important thing is that you need to be an Administrator user in order to unlock SilverFast
sometimes it can happen that the permissions of OSX are a little messed up and SilverFast is not able to write the actual serial number file.
This is mostly solved by simply using the Apple Disk Utility to repair the permissions of your systems harddrive. It some rare cases the permissions are so corrupted that it is necessary to activate the "Root User" (plesase refer to the Apple Knowledge Base to see how you can achieve this in your particular OSX version) and make the serialisation as "Root User".
best regards,

Thomas Luebker,
LaserSoft Imaging AG

wbabbott3
Visitor

Postby wbabbott3 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:47 pm

Thank you, I'll verify permissions and if that doesn't do the trick, I'll pursue the root user path.
Many thanks for your help. I knew there was an answer somewhere.
Best,
Bill

wbabbott3
Visitor

Postby wbabbott3 » Sat May 22, 2010 2:44 am

Thanks again. Repairing permissions had no effect. FYI, I am always logged in as an Admin user so that is not the problem. Every time I start SF from within PS CS4 or the Universal Launcher I am asked to Unlock SF while the dialog box displays my serial number and I just click, Unlock.

Your instructions for logging on as Root User works until I open Directory Utility and then they do not match the reality of what I see as the 10.6.3 Directory and I have no idea of what to do. There are no cogent Apple help files that I can find that match my 10.6.3. Attached is what I see.

[attachment=0]Screen shot 2010-05-21 at 6.37.25 PM.jpg[/attachment]Verifying/

We are at an impasse here. I have this longstanding, continuing problem with no fix in sight. Would an Archive and Reinstall 10.6 do any good or would the corrupt serial file survive and remain a problem?

I have tried running the SF Uninstall program but it doesn't do anything. Perhaps I don't know how to run Unistall other than just double clicking it ; I can't find any instructions anywhere on how to do it.

I've manually trashed every SF and LaserSoft file I can find a couple of times and and reinstalled SF without any improvement.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Bill
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-05-21 at 6.37.25 PM.jpg
Screen shot 2010-05-21 at 6.37.25 PM.jpg (47.68 KiB) Viewed 2645 times

LSI_Luebker
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Luebker » Wed May 26, 2010 9:26 am

Dear Bill,

ok when repairing the permissions does not help, unlocking SilverFast as root user is the way to go ,as it seems that somehow the file permissions are messed up beyond repair.

Here is the Apple KB entry on how to enable root on all versions of OSX:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1528

After enabling root you need to login to your OSX as the actual root user.
now start SilverFast in service mode by clicking on the little icon with the hammer and screwdriver and choose "delete serialnumber file" SilverFasat will start afterwards just quit SilverFast and start it again now you should be able to enter serial number and unlock SilverFast.
This should solve your issue.
best regards,

Thomas Luebker,
LaserSoft Imaging AG

wbabbott3
Visitor

Postby wbabbott3 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:16 am

Thomas,

Thanks, after going up several blind alleys I finally got it done. The Apple instructions are perfectly clear if you know what they mean but if you don't, they are not too helpful in places. Where I was stumped was the "Choose Enable Root User" step and I could not any mention of it. It was not until I saw in the Apple article the words, "Choose Enable Root User from the Edit menu" that I saw my error.

So all is well.

Thanks,

Bill

LSI_Luebker
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Luebker » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:26 am

Dear Bill,

I am glad you got it working :-)
best regards,

Thomas Luebker,