Umax Astra 6700 Pro - scanning negative

flatbed scanners for Umax

Juliik
Visitor

Umax Astra 6700 Pro - scanning negative

Postby Juliik » Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:14 pm

Hi,
I am scanning negatives and the quality using Umax driver and SF are uncomparable. Original driver takes about 3 min to scan a field and the results are so-so. But with SF it takes under a minute at the same resolution and the result is useless. So much noise I haven' seen, yet. Tried to tune the NegFix - does some differenece but not to the noise graininess. What am I doing wrong? I was supposed to get much better results with SF than with original driver.

LSI_Magnussen
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Magnussen » Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:13 am

From your writing I assume that you are not using the latest SilverFast version for the Astra 6700: v6.0.2r33. We have changed some things regarding negative scanning with this scanner, so please download the update and try again.

Ralf

Juliik
Visitor

Postby Juliik » Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:57 pm

Well, it got slightly better, perhaps. But check these two, both scanned at 2400dpi, filters off. Don't care about different color balance.
Pic by SilverFast and the same pic taken by Umax original driver.

Isn't the noise difference caused by higher sensitivity of scanning with SF? SF scans too fast comparing to UMAX drv.

LSI_Sperling_old
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby LSI_Sperling_old » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:52 pm

Dear Juliik -
I like to help you in solving this problem. For this please which SilverFast version and which operating system and host application ( Photoshop ect. ) do you use ?

with regards -

Christoph

Juliik
Visitor

Postby Juliik » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:41 pm

SilverFast v6.0.2r34
OS Windows 98 SE
Photoshop Elements - not sure about the version... I'll find out

THX for your goodwill

sova
Visitor

Re: Umax Astra 6700 Pro - scanning negative

Postby sova » Sat Nov 22, 2003 2:56 pm

Juliik wrote:Hi,
I am scanning negatives and the quality using Umax driver and SF are uncomparable. Original driver takes about 3 min to scan a field and the results are so-so. But with SF it takes under a minute at the same resolution and the result is useless. So much noise I haven' seen, yet. Tried to tune the NegFix - does some differenece but not to the noise graininess. What am I doing wrong? I was supposed to get much better results with SF than with original driver.

Trying SF Ai v.6.1.0r5 and having the same mess with UMAX Astra 6700. Negatives are scanned quickly and come out utterly noisy and useless.

Maybe you can tweak scanning speed and thus increase exposure?
</sova>

sova
Visitor

Have you given up?

Postby sova » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:49 am

Dear Support,

Have you given up with this issue? Do you not support UMAX Astra 6700 anymore? :cry:
</sova>

Return to “UMAX”