Cropping and saving multiple photos on a scan automatically

flatbed scanners for Epson

Postby hedess » Wed Aug 14, 2002 6:40 am

Upfront - I am a Newbie to Silverfast. Not sure if I am in the right place here so bear with me.

I would like to scan 4 photos and then have some way to automatically crop them and store them to disk. I have 100's of photos I want to scan and this would dramtically cut down on the time needed to do this task.

Can silverfast do this? Does anyone know of a package or how this can be acheived?

Thanks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hedess on 2002-08-14 07:41 ]</font>
hedess
Visitor

Postby LSI_Flyvbjerg » Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:10 am

SilverFast cannot automatically crop frames around your 4 photos (at least not yet;).

However, you drag the frames for your 4 photos manually and scan them in batch mode to disk. There is no limitation in the number of frames. You can reuse the same frames for the next batch scan and you can save/reload the settings for these frames.

Btw, each frame can have its own parameters (color settings, gradation curves ...) and you can copy the parameters of one frame to another.

Eric.
LSI_Flyvbjerg
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby hedess » Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:30 pm

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the info. this should be able to acheive what I am looing for. I have a coulple of other questions and would be greatful if you are in a position to answer them for me.

a) I am using an EPSON 1650 photo (Silverscan says EPSON GT-8200) and when I prescan the images in using silverfast they look very blurry on the screen. They do look much clearer when I save them however. Is there any way you know of to fix the blurriness on the screen in the prescan?

b) The batch mode saves the pictures as they are shown on the prescan wich is great. Is there anyway Silverfast can rotate the picture before it saves to disk?

Thanks again
hedess
Visitor

Postby LSI_Flyvbjerg » Thu Aug 15, 2002 7:49 am

1. You surely have the unsharp masking filter (Ai version) or the auto sharpen filter (SE version) switched on, which is the factory default setting. This is the reason, why the images look more sharpened after the scan. There is no way to display the sharpen filter on the preview, because sharpening is very much dependend on the scan resolution and normally the prescan is done with another resolution than the final scan.

2. SilverFast can rotate and flip the images on the preview and at scan time. Beside the preview window, there are icons for rotating and horizontal / vertical flipping. Using these icons, all frames will be rotated and flipped and the preview is also displayed rotated and flipped. There are also rotate / flip icons in the densitometer window. These icons rotate and flip individual frames but not the preview. You will need the icons in the densitometer, if you want to rotate one frame, but not the others, or if you want to flip one frame horizontal and others vertical.

Eric.
LSI_Flyvbjerg
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby drybas » Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:07 pm

Eric Flyvbjerg wrote:SilverFast cannot automatically crop frames around your 4 photos (at least not yet;).

Eric,
Does version 6 have this feature (autocropping)?
Thanx,
Dmitry.
drybas
Visitor

Postby LSI_Flyvbjerg » Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:33 pm

No, sorry :cry: .
But check out the v6 trial version, to see what?s new in version 6.

Eric.
LSI_Flyvbjerg
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby drybas » Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:07 am

Eric Flyvbjerg wrote:No, sorry :cry: .
But check out the v6 trial version, to see what?s new in version 6.

Eric.

Sorry, but this feature is most important for me, without it I am not interested in SilverFast, so I will wait who SilverFast or v**s**n implements it first.

Up until that time will continue using Epson's twain which has that
autosegmentation yet it works on 90% of films and fails in 10% cases.

Dmitry.
drybas
Visitor

Autocrop

Postby drybas » Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:53 pm

Eric,

Is the autocrop feature still not there?

Thank you,
Dmitry.
drybas
Visitor

Postby LSI_Flyvbjerg » Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:35 am

Dear drybas.

No, I?m really sorry, but this issue hasn?t had much priority in the past few month, nor is there a plan to implement it in the very next future.

Eric.
LSI_Flyvbjerg
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Autocrop finally available?

Postby flatpicker » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:30 pm

I currently (once again) evaluating Silverfast. Since I want to batch scan large amounts of slides and store the RAW scan files I really cannot live without a autocrop feature that works. Manually cropping thousands of pictures is really not an option.

Is there now a roadmap for providing an autocrop feature in one of the upcoming releases? I actually need this feature for the Nikon LS 5000, but I believe implementation should be scanner independent.

Thanks,
Olaf
flatpicker
SilverFast Beginner

Postby RAG » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:03 am

While SilverFast does not auto-frame you do have the ability to create and save your own frame sets.

Take a look at the information on the following page I think it will help you in your quest.

http://www.silverfast.com/show/sf-onlin ... ws/en.html
Member in good standing - NAPP
A picture is worth a thousand words! :-)
RAG
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby drybas » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:03 am

LSI_Flyvbjerg wrote:Dear drybas.

No, I?m really sorry, but this issue hasn?t had much priority in the past few month, nor is there a plan to implement it in the very next future.

Eric.

Any news on autocrop in the past few years?
drybas
Visitor

Postby drybas » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:15 pm

drybas wrote:
Any news on autocrop in the past few years?

Well, looks like no news...
drybas
Visitor

Return to Epson