Support for Coolscan 5000 ED and Windows 7

All the problems with Nikon film scanners

Support for Coolscan 5000 ED and Windows 7

Postby alexvaib » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:56 pm

Any plan to support Nikon Coolscan Ls 5000 ED under Windows 7? Others models from Nikon up to 9000 have been updated for 32 / 64 bits but the 5000 don't ...

Thank you
alexvaib
Visitor

Re: Support for Coolscan 5000 ED and Windows 7

Postby LSI_Morales » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:22 am

Dear Alex

Yes, there are plans to support the scanner under windows 7. Most likely the upcoming version (6.6.1r4) will support your scanner under the operating systems in question.

Cheers
LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby degrub » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:48 am

Will this be waiting for Nikon testing and updating the drivers or is this the point where the Mac source code will be used ?

Thanks

Frank
degrub
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:37 am

Dear Frank

degrub wrote:Will this be waiting for Nikon testing and updating the drivers

Yes, it is the point where we get to update the driver

degrub wrote:or is this the point where the Mac source code will be used ?

No, the mac source code can not simply be ported to the pc to be used there. It requires a considerable amount of work and reprogramming. The mac case was special because their latest driver just was not so easily adapted to work with the latest operating systems. Not being the case with windows 7

Cheers
LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Re: Support for Coolscan 5000 ED and Windows 7 64bits

Postby alexvaib » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:03 pm

Hi,
I see that W7 32 have been released, but I can't see the 64bits versons, do you have an estimated time available for it?

Thanks
alexvaib
Visitor

Postby LSI_Morales » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:08 pm

Dear Alex,

No, there is not estimated period of time, what you can do is suscribe to our Nikon 5000 product news at: http://www.silverfast.com/rss/productinfo/436/en.xml

There you will be informed of news related to this scanner.

Cheers
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing
LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby SnapDragon » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:30 am

Hi ... I was hoping you would be able to give a little more information regarding the time frame within which Silverfast will be able to support the Nikon CoolScan 5000ED 64bit version for Win 7?

This is really frustrating for me (and no doubt many others!), as I only purchased the full version of archive suit a short time ago after you had made it Vista 64 bit compatible. I had assumed that it would be a very simple task for you to port the Vista 64 bit version to Win 7 (64 bit). I've upgraded all my computers to Win 7 (64 bit) and I'm very disappointed that I am totally unable to use what has been an expensive investment in Silverfast on a scanner which you previously supported in Vista 64 bit.

Can you give some details as to what exactly the issue is with the Nikon CoolScan 5000ED that it is the ONLY Nikon scanner that SilverFast does not support in Win 7 64 bit in this version?

Thanks for your help!

Rgds,

SnapDragon
SnapDragon
Visitor

Postby LSI_Morales » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:45 am

Dear Alex,
Dear Degrub,
Dear SnapDragon,

I have good news for you guys and all other users with Nikon coolscan 5000 scanners on windows 7 64 bits.

Our programmers have made the necessary adjustments in SilverFast to work with the scanner + operating system combination in question.

You can now download the latest update from our site and start working with SilverFast and your scanners.

Have fun and Good luck!

Best regards
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby degrub » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:43 pm

Thanks !

Nikon ICE library or Silverfast iSRD library ?

Best regards,

Frank
degrub
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby LSI_Morales » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:39 am

Dear Degrub,

degrub wrote:Nikon ICE library or Silverfast iSRD library ?

Nikon ICE library!

Best regards
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby SnapDragon » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:19 am

Thank you for this very positive development!

Forgive me, but all I can find at the link you provide is the Windows Vista 64 bit version of SilverFast Ai IT8 Studio (Multi-Exposure) for LS 5000ED. Is there supposed to be a Windows 7 (64 Bit) selection available for download, or is the new Vista (64 Bit) version posted on 24 November 2009 the version we are to use within Windows 7 (64 Bit)?

I would appreciate any advice you could provide.

Thanks again.

SnapDragon
SnapDragon
Visitor

Postby LSI_Luebker » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:35 pm

Dear SnapDragon,

you are on the right track the version from the 24th is also working with Windows 7 64 Bit.

Have a nice weekend :-)
best regards,

Thomas Luebker,
LaserSoft Imaging AG
LSI_Luebker
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby geko5766 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:10 am

Hello and Good Morning to the forum.

I am a complete Newbie, but I have been looking around here for awhile.

Yesterday I got a used Nikon CS V ED together with Silverfast AI 6.5. and the update to AI 6.6. After a serious research I am glad to get this model WITH SIlverfast, which is the software of my choice, as it is state-of-the-art.
After reading this thread and various other web-sources I have the following questions:

My setup is a : PC , Windows 7 64 bit

a) is it right, that I cannot get the scanner working with the NIKON Software, especially the installation of the driver?
b) After reading here: Did I get it right, that the new AI 6.6 has the drivers incorporated, so that I do not need to install a separate Nikon driver ? ( which would mean in other terms, that the sanner could not be used under Windows 7)

Your assistance ist highly appreciated. I really like the profound monitoring of the sileverfast staff.

Best regards from Germany

Georg
geko5766
Visitor

Postby LSI_Morales » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:07 pm

Dear Georg,

The thread here is basically for a different scanner model but it also applies to your scanner, so:

geko5766 wrote:a) is it right, that I cannot get the scanner working with the NIKON Software, especially the installation of the driver?

Yes it is right, the Nikon software was not updated to work with this operating system, it was not even updated to work with Vista 64 bits. Although it might work, it also might prove unstable and will not allow you to work with SilverFast.

geko5766 wrote:b) After reading here: Did I get it right, that the new AI 6.6 has the drivers incorporated, so that I do not need to install a separate Nikon driver ? ( which would mean in other terms, that the sanner could not be used under Windows 7)

Again right, the drivers are incorporated. Before connecting your scanner to the system you should install SilverFast (the latest version) and then proceed restart your computer and connect your scanner to it.

Greetings
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby geko5766 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:03 pm

¡buenos días! Alejandro,

thank you very much for your fast reply.

Indeed I still have a hit ans miss with the new tool. I must really tell these two scanners apart from one another.

Anyway, I will delete the preceeding installs and take the new update of SF ! I will report on my efforts afterwards.

It´s good to be part of such a helpful community. Iwill switch to the Nikon V ED then and

MUCHAS GRACIAS
Georg :D
geko5766
Visitor

Next

Return to Nikon