SilverFast 8 - Mac OS X - drivers

All the problems with Plustek film scanners

Re: SilverFast 8 - Mac OS X - drivers

Postby matsfager » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:09 pm

No, the new framework does not work with 6.6 because it is a 64-bit, the older one is a 32-bit. If you did change the framework, SilverFast 8 should not be able to start in 64-bit mode but only in 32-bit mode as described in the instructions before.

Hi, I tried that now, I am able to start SF8 in 64-bit mode with the framework download from the link, furthering my suspicion that the two frameworks are the same.
matsfager
SilverFast Beginner

Postby picree » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:41 am

matsfager wrote:The new framework I downloaded from you contains a file with the exact same creation date and size. (tried to get diff working but, meh.,).

I'm guessing that this is the actual driver, as it seems to be the only file with any real size in the in folder and it seems to be exactly the same file.
Did you by any chance upload the wrong version of the framework?

This is true! was the wrong framework uploaded by mistake?
picree
SilverFast Beginner

Postby matsfager » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:08 am

Some feedback on this would be greatly appreciated Alejandro.
matsfager
SilverFast Beginner

Postby picree » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:00 am

Any update on this issue? I really don't want to spend more time running test scans if we still have the same 64-bit frameworks. It's also confusing to leave the old link out there that says they are the 32-bit if they are not...
picree
SilverFast Beginner

Postby picree » Thu May 03, 2012 1:39 am

I hate to be a nagger but even a simple update letting us know someone is trying to find the correct frameworks...or maybe give us a little guidance on when we can expect a solution. We have over 2,000 scans waiting for this fix... :cry:
picree
SilverFast Beginner

Postby LSI_Morales » Thu May 03, 2012 8:43 am

Hi guys,

An apology to all of you (thought I had posted something before).

After some internal research, we found out that the older framework will not work on Lion. The reason is that the old framework is powerPC only.

I guess the test with the older framework is not possible.

We have to wait for a modified framework from Plustek.

Again, an apology to all of you, we appreciate your understanding and patience.

Kind regards
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
Media manager, Software testing
LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby matsfager » Thu May 03, 2012 9:00 pm

HI,

Thanks for the reply, it was about time.
This is really a quite serious issue, and this morning I have lost probably 45min trying to get the scanner working correctly (it's still not).

When I get the scanner to do things right, I leave setup and don't change *anything*, unplug/turn of scanner or turn of the software etc.
By using this methods I have been able to scan flawlessly for days, last night I had to move my laptop and now I'm battling with it to get it working again.
THIS IS FRUSTRATING!! I also have hundreds of frames to scan.
When can we expect a fix for this? I've contacted plustek as well, and they are very unresponsive and seems unaware of the situation.
What is going on here, is somebody trying to fix this issue?

I'm running Snow Leopard by the way and I'm able to run SF6.6 that does not suffer from this issue, still can't get the "old framework" to work.
matsfager
SilverFast Beginner

Postby LSI_Morales » Fri May 04, 2012 8:17 am

Hi

matsfager wrote:When can we expect a fix for this? I've contacted plustek as well, and they are very unresponsive and seems unaware of the situation.
What is going on here, is somebody trying to fix this issue?

We can control what happens with SilverFast and within our company. However we do not have any power of what goes on in our partners premises. Fixing this kinds of complex problems can (and probably will) take up some time.

matsfager wrote:I'm running Snow Leopard by the way and I'm able to run SF6.6 that does not suffer from this issue, still can't get the "old framework" to work.

I can only recommend using the less problematic version which allows you to complete your task while a solution for the discussed issues is available. Fortunately you have 6.6 running.

Kind regards
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby matsfager » Fri May 04, 2012 7:07 pm

Hi, sorry for the rant.

My point is that if Plustek does not know about the problem, they aren't going to fix it, so I hope you guys are letting them know. Have you?
matsfager
SilverFast Beginner

Postby LSI_Morales » Mon May 07, 2012 8:17 am

Hi there

matsfager wrote:My point is that if Plustek does not know about the problem, they aren't going to fix it, so I hope you guys are letting them know. Have you?

Communication with business partners is not open to public discussion, but yes, we are in contact with Plustek about this issues.

Kind regards
Alejandro Morales

LaserSoft Imaging
LSI_Morales
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby Manne » Wed May 09, 2012 3:45 pm

Wow! Amazingly bad rep for this product! I have just now found out that this thread contained all of my problems I've had with Plustec 8200i together with SilverFast 8 Ai Studio using OSX Lion.
I've been corresponding with SF support about weird output scan and inconsistent speed, result etc and they've been seemingly totally unaware of these problems. A quick look in this forum shows the contrary. Come on - your product (SilverFast together with Plustec - don't really care who's to blame) is NOT in this state what it is said to be. Don't blame each other! If you sell the product as a bundle - cooperate and fix it! We've paid for this product to work.
Manne
Visitor

Postby picree » Sun May 13, 2012 2:33 am

Manne wrote:Wow! Amazingly bad rep for this product! I have just now found out that this thread contained all of my problems I've had with Plustec 8200i together with SilverFast 8 Ai Studio using OSX Lion.
I've been corresponding with SF support about weird output scan and inconsistent speed, result etc and they've been seemingly totally unaware of these problems. A quick look in this forum shows the contrary. Come on - your product (SilverFast together with Plustec - don't really care who's to blame) is NOT in this state what it is said to be. Don't blame each other! If you sell the product as a bundle - cooperate and fix it! We've paid for this product to work.

"Here, here!!" I agree totally! We've paid for the bundle to work! SF may get all the bad feedback because they are the only ones who have a "quasi" forum but, none-the-less...this should be given TOP priority in BOTH companies! :x :x :x
picree
SilverFast Beginner

Postby favell98 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:49 am

I bought a plustek 8100 yesterday with SilverFast 8 software, and downloaded the upgrade for SilverFast last night.

I have spent untold hours trying to cope with the frequent very slow scans (5 minutes for scans at 3600 with all the features turned off) and was pleased to find this forum when I Googled.

If the problem is solved soon by plustek and/or SilverFast well and good, otherwise I will return both the scanner and the software under warranty as being unfit for the promised usage.

In the meantime is it possible to get the earlier unproblematic software to use for now at no charge?
favell98
Visitor

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Fri May 25, 2012 4:46 pm

Dear customer,

The scanner's speed is a pure hardware function.
Make sure it can deliver it's data without hinderance.
Connect it directly to your computer.
Do not use an USB hub, extension cord or a slow USB 1.1 port.

Large files are cached on the harddrive.
In case you have a second harddrive installed you can improve performance by placing the temporary SilverFast files there.
The option can be found in the SilverFast preferences' general tab.

kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.
LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby picree » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:40 pm

Since this is obviously not going to be fixed anytime soon I need to pursue a different path. I have previously installed SF 8.0 for OSX Lion. It is fully licensed blah, blah. I also run Windows XP 32-bit in a parallels VM. I tried to download the XP Demo version of SF 8.0 but it would not let me upgrade the license and enter the serial number (grayed out). So, how do I download a fully functional XP copy of SF so I can use it on my XP VM? All the links I found look like they will charge me $50 for something I already own.
picree
SilverFast Beginner

PreviousNext

Return to Plustek