Differences between SilverFast AI and SE?

General topics about SilverFast

Moderator: LSI_Moeller

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 26, 2001 10:13 am

I got SilverFast SE with my Nikon scanner (Coolscan IV LS-40 ED - it doesn't appear in the list of the supported scanners, by the way). What exactly are the differences between SilverFast AI and SE? Can I upgrade, and if yes, how do I do it and how much does it cost?

Postby LSI_Support » Fri Aug 03, 2001 10:04 am

Very easy, the SE version is a "simple edition" which lacks a variety of advanced image optimizing tools. You can always update from a SilverFast SE version to a full SilverFast Ai version, and you just pay the difference to the price of the full version - or 49$ less :smile:
LSI_Support
LSI Staff
LSI Staff

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 17, 2001 10:08 am

I have seen this post by A.N. Other Anonymous but would like to know what advanced features are missing. I have a Nikon 400 film 35 mm film scanner and an Epson 2450 flatbed should arrive this week for MF and 5" by 4" transparencies and negs.

Can you identify these so that I may make a judgment?

Thanks

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 17, 2001 10:10 am

Sorry, re: the earlier post, Silverfast does not come bundled with the Epson 2450 where I live.

Postby wptski » Tue Dec 18, 2001 4:42 am

Okay, I just got an Epson Perfection 2450 which came bundled with SilverFast SE. I just downloaded the Ai demo. Can I have both the Ai demo and SE loaded?

If I order the Ai version online, just how do you do that? You'd have to list your SE serial number somehow! Do you put that in the Comment area along with the fact that your upgrading from the SE version??
wptski
SilverFast Beginner

Postby wptski » Wed Jan 09, 2002 2:31 am

LSI_support_Kohler:

Reviving an old post but your answer is may not be correct unless the LSI policy is different for other scanners!

I recently got a Epson Perfection 2450 Photo which came bundled with SilverFast SE. I called and asked if I could upgrade to the Ai version. I was told yes and I was to be charged the difference between the two, just as you stated here.

I noticed that my unbilled activity on my credit card showed the full cost of SF Ai! I called back today and was told that you "can't" upgrade from a bundled version! They admitted that I was given false information when the order was placed. The more I think about it, they should have notified me that there was a mistake made when the order was placed before charging my credit card.

Hmmm, even the people that actually take the orders are not very informed at LSI!

You being support may not know what your sales policies really are.
wptski
SilverFast Beginner

Postby wptski » Sat Jan 12, 2002 5:37 am

I received SF Ai for the Epson 2450 today.

The PC installation tells you to open either/both of the Plugin/Twain, in my case, English. The file your supposed to look for isn't there, in fact there is only one file. I've ran into this before many times installing other apps.

The really odd thing is that when the CD-ROM spun up, a installation screen came up listing of all things, AF SE and Ai Demo! That's when I browsed the CD.

When I opened SF Ai the first time, I had to type my name and SF Ai serial number. That's okay but it asked for the CD again, so when it spun up, yep, that same screen again! Luckily, I just closed it and everything still worked.
wptski
SilverFast Beginner

Postby LSI_Anahita » Thu Mar 07, 2002 1:13 pm

On 2001-12-17 10:10, Anonymous wrote:
Sorry, re: the earlier post, Silverfast does not come bundled with the Epson 2450 where I live.

Dear Anonymous,
depending on where you live the scanner is either bundled with SilverFast or not. Sorry to say, that this is actually the manufacturers choice and not ours. Perhaps you should turn to the scanner manufacturer or distributor near you, in this case Epson.
This also applies for other scanner brands, e.g.Nikon.
LSI_Anahita
Visitor

Postby LSI_Anahita » Thu Mar 07, 2002 1:23 pm

On 2002-01-09 02:31, wptski wrote:
LSI_support_Kohler:

Reviving an old post but your answer is may not be correct unless the LSI policy is different for other scanners!

I recently got a Epson Perfection 2450 Photo which came bundled with SilverFast SE. I called and asked if I could upgrade to the Ai version. I was told yes and I was to be charged the difference between the two, just as you stated here.

I noticed that my unbilled activity on my credit card showed the full cost of SF Ai! I called back today and was told that you "can't" upgrade from a bundled version! They admitted that I was given false information when the order was placed. The more I think about it, they should have notified me that there was a mistake made when the order was placed before charging my credit card.

Hmmm, even the people that actually take the orders are not very informed at LSI!

You being support may not know what your sales policies really are.

Dear Warren,
the information our support, Mr. K?hler, gave you is correct. I can only assume that there has been a misunderstanding. Please refer to our office in USA- if you are living in America- or else to our headquarter in Germany to have the matter clarified.
LSI_Anahita
Visitor

Return to About SilverFast