Canon 9950F negative carriers & ISRD

flatbed scanners for Canon

Canon 9950F negative carriers & ISRD

Postby billdlv » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:08 am

I was wondering if anyone else was having trouble with the canon negative carriers. I am scanning 6x6 and 6x4.5 cm velvia and porta 160 VC. I can't seem to get the negatives to stay flat without curling along the length of the strip. I have tried using the black squares provided by canon. I read in a post on the forum that placing some shot bags on the top of the scanner seemed to help but when I look at the clearance from the negative carrier to the top of the scanner there appears to be a big gap even though the top is down all the way. I don't see how this would help since I would not be comfortable putting enough weight to make the scanner top deflect that much.

I wish I could tape the negatives directly to the glass of the of scanner, this is what I do when I'm using my enlarger and I can get the negatives nice and flat.

Also has anyone had good results with ISRD with this scanner? So far I have not been able to get good results. By good I mean that the scanner seems to be able to detect the flaws when I have the dialog box open. But when the scan is done the dust does not seem to be removed from the image.

Thanks,
Bill
billdlv
Visitor

Re: Canon 9950F negative carriers & ISRD

Postby LSI_Heidorn » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:14 pm

Dear Bill,
regarding iSRD:
We are still constantly improving / changing iSRD for the Canon's as they are juste newly supported, so i suggest looking for new versions regularly, there has been an improvement in the 660r4e version that will be online today !

As for the poor holder:
I assume there are only 3 olutions:
-1- tape and/or oil the images to the flatbed, hoping that the focus is still good enough and no annoying newton rings are showing.
-2- get some holders that apply a pull to the films so they stay flat ( hard to get and expensive )
-3- get two amti newton glass plates and "sandwich" the film between them. The thickness of the bottom glass plate should be chosen to hold the image in optimum focus.

best regards,

Nils Heidorn
LSI_Heidorn
SilverFast Expert
SilverFast Expert

Return to Canon