Silverfast SE locks up when prescan button is pressed

Problems with Mac OS 10.3 (Panther)

Moderator: LSI_Luebker

figure2
Visitor

Silverfast SE locks up when prescan button is pressed

Postby figure2 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:11 pm

This problem is intermittent (about every 3rd or 4th scan) but sometimes when I scan through Photoshop CS, The Silverfast window freezes after I press the Prescan button and the only escape is to force-quit Photoshop. I am using SilverFast SE with an Epson Perfection 4990 Photo scanner and using a FireWire connection. SilverFast SE came bundled with this scanner.
Mark Hannon
Illustration & Design
Online Portfolio

RAG
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby RAG » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:16 pm

Hello Mark,

I see that you are a new to this forum. In my experience your best bet for technical support is to complete the online support form located at the following link:

Support Link:
http://www.silverfast.com/problemreport ... opic=Usage
Member in good standing - NAPP
A picture is worth a thousand words! :-)

figure2
Visitor

Postby figure2 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:13 am

After a thourough search, I have been uable to find the card that my Silverfast registration number was printed on which came with my scanner. Unfortunately for me, the registration number is a required field in the support form.

However, I have begun to suspect the connection configuration I set up as a culprit in the problem. I recently gave an older classic Mac to charity and removed a secondary internal IDE drive before I donated it. I placed the drive into an external enclosure and connected the enclosure directly to my current Mac via one of the Firewire ports. I then connected the scanner to the spare Firewire port on the back of the drive enclosure.

Unlike the SCSI chain in my old classic Mac, the drive enclosure needs to be running in order for OS X to recognize the scanner. Could this be a cause of the occasional lock-up? Would I be better off connecting both devices to a Firewire hub?
Mark Hannon

Illustration & Design

Online Portfolio

RAG
SilverFast Master
SilverFast Master

Postby RAG » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:08 am

Mark,

I am a PC user so I don't know about the MAC, but I believe you can enter "demo" in place of the registration number when submitting a support form.
Member in good standing - NAPP

A picture is worth a thousand words! :-)

Helpful Corn
SilverFast User
SilverFast User

Postby Helpful Corn » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:36 pm

Hi Mark,

I'm on a PC also so I don't know if this will apply in your situation, but I have found over the years that my Epson scanners can be finicky when hooked up to hubs. I'd recommend connecting directly to your motherboard, if possible. If not, then make sure the scanner is the only large device drawing power from the hub.

If you can't get a quick response from Lasersoft, try GregoryC. He's very knowledgeable about Mac/Silverfast issues and he posts on this board quite a bit. You might want to send him a quick private message and ask his advice.

Also, try your best to find that registration number otherwise you'll be up a creek when it comes time to download the Silverfast updates. You'll need to input your reg number before you can download anything. If I remember correctly, the registration number did not come on a seperate card when I bought my 4990; it was on a sticker directly attached to the paper cd sleeve that the disc came in. Good luck!

Return to “OSX - PANTHER Problems”