Nikon 9000 installation and batch scan problems

All the problems with Nikon film scanners

bosak
Visitor
Scanner: Nikon 9000ED
SilverFast Product: HDR Studio

Nikon 9000 installation and batch scan problems

Postby bosak » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:13 pm

I recently acquired a Nikon 9000ED and Silverfast 8. I'm trying to set up a workflow for converting thousands of old negatives (color, chromogenic, and b&w) into digital negatives for further processing later on. Since the scanner takes about two hours to do 12 frames, I need a batch process that can be run in the background as I attend to other tasks and chip away at processing the digital negatives to positives on a separate schedule.

For doing the initial scans to a digital negative, the scanner is hooked up through a FireWire PCMCIA adapter to an old Lenovo T60 running Windows XP. For processing to positives, I have SF8 HDR Studio running on a current laptop with 64 bit Windows 7. Studio seems to be working OK, but I have had nothing but trouble with the 9000/XP setup.

After many days of stuggling with SP8/XP, I finally got the process to limp along, more or less, using the Overview function -- not a good batch process, but it was working. Then I reinstalled XP to bring it up to SP3 before the recent termination of support, and now the SP8 interface seems to work more straighforwardly, but whenever I try to use Overview, the scanner goes through all 12 frames and then the program crashes.

One obvious answer would be to use the ADF function, but though the Silverfast 8 marketing materials extol the benefits of using the ADF setting with the Nikon 9000, there is no ADF button in the GUI I get when I install it. From this I'm guessing that the wrong driver may be installed, or the right driver may be installed incorrectly.

An alternative would be to use SF6.6 on the XP machine. I tried this, and it seemed to install much better, but how to set up a pure "raw capture" batch mode seems rather mysterious, and I can't find any instructions on how to perform what one would think to be the most basic function of a film scanner, namely, getting as much raw data from the negative into digital form with as little hassle as possible. Everything seems to be set up for someone who is going to be working with negatives one frame at a time and is going to optimize the positive version of each frame before going on to the next one -- not a good approach for bringing thousands of frames into a baseline digital form before they begin to deteriorate. The book that's sold along with SF8, and which I'm sorry I spent the money on, is badly written and filled with nonsense about the relationship between print sizes and resolution (as if I already knew what print sizes I might want and was going to all this trouble for any less resolution than what the scanner was capable of capturing).

And now I get the impression (poking around this forum) that scans made with 6.6 might not be readable with SF8 Studio!

So, two questions.

1. Where can I find instructions for installing SF8 on XP in a way that ensures that the right driver is installed? (Or even shows how to check to see for sure whether it's a driver problem?)

2. Does anyone out there have EITHER SF8 or 6.6 running smoothly for mass batch mode raw capture with the Nikon 9000 and an XP machine? If so, how did you do it?

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Re: Nikon 9000 installation and batch scan problems

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:03 am

Dear customer,

The Nikon driver installation instructions can be found here.

SilverFast HDR 8.0 can load SilverFast 6.6 HDR images.
You only have to make sure you are using the most recent SilverFast HDR 8.

Kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

bosak
Visitor
Scanner: Nikon 9000ED
SilverFast Product: HDR Studio

Postby bosak » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:10 pm

In the several days that have elapsed between my attempt to post those questions and their publication on the forum, I have learned several more things, which I will summarize here for the benefit of those looking for answers on this topic.

1. The ADF interface represented in the Silverfast marketing materials does not in fact exist. Its function has been replaced by "batch scan."

2. There is no button labeled "batch scan" in the SF8 interface. It appears if you let the mouse hover over "scan" for a second or so.

3. If you are trying (as I am) to capture as much raw scanner data as possible from 35mm negatives in a Nikon 9000ED, with all later processing to be done in HDR Studio, then selecting one of the HDRi options and maximizing the frame size will set everything up for that and will (apparently) override the gamma and other image settings. It would be nice to get confirmation of this from LS so that I'm not missing anything. It would also be nice to get a clear description of the function of the gamma and HDR settings; the descriptions I've found in the Forum are not clear at all.

It seems now that the problems I thought might be due to incorrect driver installation are in fact caused by a bug in the version of the program I'm trying to use (installed from SF-8.0.1r44(Nikon)_x86.exe). This bug causes the program to crash every time an Overview is attempted. I can use batch scan without an overview, but then I can't select out the blank sixth frame in each strip (these are five-frame strips from 30 years ago), which often causes the scanner to raise a "NikonFS" error when it hits the sixth (or more often, the twelfth) frame. And attempts to scan just one strip (which happens with every roll, since each roll is cut into five strips) are pretty much hopeless.

It would be good to know whether this bug is being worked on and whether we can expect a fix any time soon.

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:08 pm

Dear customer,

Yes that is correct we exchanged the ADF for batch-scan.
I already asked our documentation department to update the manual.

Yes, you have to click and hold the scan-button to switch to batch-mode.
After switching the scan button will change to batch-scan.

For HDR(i) scans it is only important to set the resolution and activate Multi-Exposure as necessary.
All other settings are deactivated.
The gamma for these scans is a linear 1.0.

The r44 installer was in deed corrupted.
We have already fixed it.
Please simply download it from our website and install it again.

Kind regards,
Arne Ketelhohn.

Return to “Nikon”