HDRi Raw file naming

All about SilverFast HDR and HiRepp (48bit HDR processing)

Markymark
Visitor
Scanner: Epson Perfection V850 Pro
Plustek
SilverFast Product: Ai Studio

HDRi Raw file naming

Postby Markymark » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:50 pm

I am in the process of learning to create 64bit HDRi Raw Scans and notice that the files created have the TIF extension. With my cameras I expect a specific raw extension like CR2 (which is a TIFF-based format but easily distinguished). My question is if both the archived Raw and the post-processing/optimized file use TIF extension how do users differentiate the two files (how are the 64 bit HDRi Raw Scans protected)?

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Re: HDRi Raw file naming

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:30 pm

Dear user,

Scanners use line sensors which directly create usable RGB data. Cameras only use specialized formats because their field sensor data first needs to be transferred to RGB. Therefore there is no such data available or necessary for scanners.

Kind regards
Arne

Markymark
Visitor
Scanner: Epson Perfection V850 Pro
Plustek
SilverFast Product: Ai Studio

Postby Markymark » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:15 am

Arne - thank you for your response.

So my limited understanding of the two step workflow would be Ai to create scanned archived files with a TIF extension (my analogy to the camera raw file) which I want to save and never lose and then step 2 HDR to optimize for printing or any post production ( my analogy here would be Lightroom or Aperture etc output).

My question is there anyway to look at files (or metadata) to distinguish the step 1 file from the potential multiple step 2 files? Or is this typically all user managed through storage location or some other file organization or naming system. Just wondering if users have developed some common steps (again using the photography analogy users usually create directories of files using photo shoot date - which may not make sense when scanning historical photos and negatives).

LSI_Ketelhohn
LSI Staff
LSI Staff
Scanner: all

Postby LSI_Ketelhohn » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:00 am

Dear user,

SilverFast HDR Studio can identify the archive images using their metadata. However, the file itself is a "normal" Tif file with added special metadata. They are intentionally not in a proprietary file format. So it is best to store them in their own archive location for easy identification.

Kind regards
Arne

Return to “HDR (48bit HDR processing)”